18456 error (severity 14) with a state of 38 issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, everybody,

I have a 18456 error (severity 14) with a state of 38 when trying to install CA Unicenter ServiceDesk application on my computer with SQl Server 2008 Express installed.

The user seems to be granted all required permissions, but the application shows the specified error and installation finishes.

So, the application tries to login to server and create a new database on it.

As far as I know. the 38 state means "Login successful, but database unavailable (or login not permissioned" .

Please help!

MCP
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:14 PM

All replies

• Can you logon to SQL Server? Is the expected database there?
    Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Sure, I can logon to the server.

No. there is no the database - because the installation process should create it during the installation process, isn't it?

Or I need to create the database manually?

MCP
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:50 PM
  • P.S. From the documentation:

-SQL MDB create process includes built-in intelligence that performs the following checks: 
    -Does the MDB already exist ? If not – create mdb
    -If MDB exists, is it the correct version? 1.0.4  If not -  upgrade MDB
    -Are the patches applied? If not - apply the patches
    -The product being installed should then:
    -Create O/S user ID if required
    -Create Database user ID if required
    -Define roles\grant access for the newly created product and Database users 

MCP
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:56 PM
  • This sounds like a CA Unicenter problem; a product which I am not familiar with. It seems that the CA Unicenter was supposed to create a database called MDB, and it didn't. You can check that you can create databases. You probably can, but perhaps you will get a useful error message. You can run the CA Unicenter process again and see if it creates the database. Or (I guess) call CA Unicenter for advice.
    Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:25 PM