Does Silverlight "require" Internet access RRS feed

• Question

•  We are considering using Silverlight to develop an application that will run in a closed network, not attached to the Internet in any way. I have heard a rumour that Silverlight needs to talk to the Web (presumably MS), at least once during its install/running, is this the case?

Many thanks

Colin

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:58 AM

Answers

•  Hi,

You Can definately use Silverlight and it does not require any external internet Resource  acess .

Silverlight Application are hosted in Web Pages(aspx or Html).

I think you must be providing security at web page level to prevent its acess from outside.

so you do not need to do any extra thing for this..

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:25 AM

All replies

•  Hi,

At first can you tell me what do you mean by closed network??

is it intranet??

If yes then yes your application will work on intranet.

As far as internet acess is concerned Silverlight Applications are web applications.

so they will definately require internet access and you can run these applications in browser.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:03 AM
  •  We're talking about a completely closed defence network. So it is a large intranet with no external connectivity.

Colin

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:06 AM
  •  Hi,

You Can definately use Silverlight and it does not require any external internet Resource  acess .

Silverlight Application are hosted in Web Pages(aspx or Html).

I think you must be providing security at web page level to prevent its acess from outside.

so you do not need to do any extra thing for this..

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:25 AM
  •  We stop "outside" access by not plugging the network into the Internet!

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:20 AM
  • Hello Mr. Desmond

Just to clear out the stuff.

You definitly do not need internet access to run/install Silverlight applications on your closed network. There is an easy way to have the Silverlight runtime installed on your Server and then let the client install it from there.

A thread from here;

http://silverlight.net/forums/t/70906.aspx

And some other resource;

http://tocode.blogspot.com/2008/06/silverlight-installation-on-intranet.html

Hope this helps

PS: At the beginning I was confused like you because I've read the "Silverlight 2.0 Bible" which has a formulation like this "users must have internet access to run Silverlight" which is just wrong.

Greetings

Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Excellent, many thanks. This is just the information I need.

Colin

Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:10 AM