Exchange 2010 SP2 no serviceplans RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am not able to create an organisation because Exchnage 2010 SP2 doesnt have service plans (program id,offer id) and WSP is complaining about this, is there a way round this problem in the WSP configuration?

Many Thanks

John

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:50 PM

Answers

• I have been told by omar yes. 

that it's not supported by microsoft i have heard too --> but the irreversible changes and only correct way i disagree on.. in the end we did reverse it for some customers without any problems or side effects (besides the loss of microsoft support - but they call us instead :P)

In the end format for new environments i can understand, but try and do that to existing environments with a few 1000 users.. for those companies we helped a format and complete new AD environment was just not acceptable.

Regards,

Marco

Key4ce - IT professionals: www.key4ce.eu

• Edited by M. Tiggelaar Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lloyd Zhang Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:35 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but lets start with: what WSP version did you use?

Did you follow the Exchange guides :

1) Active directory: http://www.websitepanel.net/exchange-2007-2010-module/deploying-hosted-organizations-module

Please note to skip the step : Setting ACL for Root Organizational Unit unless you know what your doing! (many people have made mistakes in that step, making Exchange unable to create an Organization Unit)

2) Exchange SP2: http://www.websitepanel.net/exchange-2007-2010-module/index

Please make sure you setup Exchange WITHOUT the /hosting (Install an Exchange on-premisis)

SP2 Hosting mode is no longer well supported by wsp AND by microsoft.

Regards,

Marco

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Hi

thanks for the reply. I was using 1.2.1 but have since found that WSP 1.2.1 does not support Exchange SP2 whithout /hosting

I installed the new Beta and that does support SP2 Exchange (we use SP2 Exchange)

I have a new problem, every time I try to add the service Hosted Organisation I get an error saying the

"The expected version of the software is not found on your server. "

Please could you help me with this one?

cheers

John

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Well lets start with the basic:

WSP Doesn't support Exchange SP2 WITHOUT hosting (an on-premisis installation.. just double click the installer)

it doesn't support Exchange SP2 WITH /hosting enabled that well (it's not recommended to use it anymore, not by WSP and by Microsoft it self /hosting mode is stopped by MS and will have no new features added since SP1)

Hosted Organization is Active Directory , Your Exchange server with the WSP Module on there should have the appropriate permissions assigned to the WSP Server account (which should have been made in Active Directory and not a local user)

Please check out step 1 for more detailed information :-)

Regards,

Marco

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Hi Marco

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should explain a bit more. We do have a Hosted Exchange 2010 SP2 environment and I have today installed WSP 1.2.2 on the various servers, we have cas, mbx, hub on different servers with the WSP Server installed. I have a dedicated WSP Server with Enterprise Server and the portal installed.

The problem I am having is when I try and add the Hosted Organizations service to either my CAS or MBX server I get the message

"The expected version of the software is not found on your server. "

I have followed the 2010 deployment guide on the WSP website.

cheers

John

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:43 PM
  • Alright.

Can you please confirm that you mean "Hosted Exchange" as in Exchange installed with /hosting mode or without?

also i have to add that WSP 1.2.1 supports Exchange SP2 fine it just requires asp.net to be set to v2.0 on the Server module :-)

and that you try to add Hosted Organizations (as in Active Directory)  to the Server configuration?

If you got difficulties adding Active Directory to the WSP --> Configuration --> servers

please make sure your WSP Server account on the Exchange server (or whatever server is supposed to host the Organization, as in Active Directory) has the appropriate groups added to it (i believe a few of them would me Exchange organization management, Domain admin, administrators, etc)

double check that the WSP Server module is functioning correctly on the Exchange / Active Directory server by going to   http://ipaddress:9003

it should display a WSP web page for Each server your trying to add to the WSP Panel.

Can you confirm all of these questions? :-)

Regards,

Marco

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Hi Marco

Yes we are using Exchange 2010 SP2 in Hosted Mode ie. we have a multitenant environment. It is the latest installation not using the /hosted switch as in SP1. We have Hosted Exchange 2010 SP2.

YEs I can access the WSP server url on all of my exchange servers cas, mbx, hub using http://<ipaddress>:9003

cheers

John

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Alright

so if you go to the Exchange server in WSP

click on the name of your Exchange server OR Active Directory server (not your portal server)

you will see Hosted Organizations --> Click on Add

To any server connected to Active Directory this part should be no problem. (it is just Active Directory)

can you please confirm this can be setup? if not what specific error WSP gives you?

Regards,

Marco

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Seems like exchange was previously installed intin the forest with /hosting switch. This is not reversable (a microsoft issue). Once an exchange organization is created with /hosting switch even un-install does not repair AD. It sucks but you are going to have to re-create the entire environment from scratch to fix.

Omar Armenteros Virtuworks

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:32 PM
  • hmm, i have un-installed /hosting from a server, then installed  Exchange on premises without a problem

well there was a slight problem with Offline Address book .. i had to go into ADSI edit and delete some OAB's that where scheduled for deletion to fix it

(after that i could create mailboxes fine on the customers server again)

So it's possible.. but requires some digging in ADSI i guess?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:21 PM
  • /hosting caused many deep irreversible changes in AD. Format is the only correct way. We reformated everything. If you do not do it, your solution is not supported by Microsoft.

-- Radek Dolezel

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:27 PM
  • I have been told by omar yes. 

that it's not supported by microsoft i have heard too --> but the irreversible changes and only correct way i disagree on.. in the end we did reverse it for some customers without any problems or side effects (besides the loss of microsoft support - but they call us instead :P)

In the end format for new environments i can understand, but try and do that to existing environments with a few 1000 users.. for those companies we helped a format and complete new AD environment was just not acceptable.

Regards,

Marco

• Edited by M. Tiggelaar Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lloyd Zhang Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:35 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:35 AM