DVR-MS File Properties RRS feed

• Question

• I have a simple question that I can not find the answer to. I am hoping that you might be able to help me out. Can you tell me the character limit of the file comment properties? You can get to it by right clicking on dvr-ms file>>select properties>>Summary>>Comments. I need to know this because I am developing an application and need a place to store some parameters. I want it to be portable with the file without breaking anything else. Any help would be great.
    Monday, September 3, 2007 10:23 PM

Answers

• First of all, Media Foundation does not natively support dvr-ms files, so the Media Foundation forum is probably not the best place for your question.  But I'll try my best to help you out here...

Another question is whether you really need to "overload" the comments metadata for this.  Because the dvr-ms file format can support arbitrary metadata, you can define attributes whose purpose it is to carry the information you need.  Also, using a well-known metadata attribute like comments means any user can overwrite your value in the Shell or in Windows Media Player. 

That "comments" field, I believe, is technically allowed to be up to 64KB, though application may impose lower limits.  But like I said, consider using something else.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:09 PM

All replies

• First of all, Media Foundation does not natively support dvr-ms files, so the Media Foundation forum is probably not the best place for your question.  But I'll try my best to help you out here...

Another question is whether you really need to "overload" the comments metadata for this.  Because the dvr-ms file format can support arbitrary metadata, you can define attributes whose purpose it is to carry the information you need.  Also, using a well-known metadata attribute like comments means any user can overwrite your value in the Shell or in Windows Media Player. 

That "comments" field, I believe, is technically allowed to be up to 64KB, though application may impose lower limits.  But like I said, consider using something else.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:09 PM
  • Sorry for posting here. I could not find a better place to post this question. This helps tremendously. Would you happen to know where I could more info on the meta data portion of DVR-MS?
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:15 PM