What Is the Difference Between W8-DP Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials?

Question

• I wasn't sure if Windows Defender in W8-DP was a full anti-malware software so I installed MSE.

Is there a difference between WD in W8-DP and MSE?

What will be the difference if any between WD in W8-DP and the upcoming new release of MSE?

Will my protection in W8-DP be just as strong if I uninstall MSE and use WD?

• Edited by MikeAmerica Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:44 PM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

• You don't need both Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials. In Windows Developer Preview, Windows Defender provides real-time protection against malware, worms, viruses, and Trojans. It uses the same engine and signatures used by Microsoft Security Essentials.

Windows Defender is included as many people purchase antivirus and install it but then don't keep it updated. Windows Defender is updated automatically through Windows Updates.

Hope this answered your question.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Actually you can't run both together or at least I couldn't.

When I installed MSE on both of my W8-DP computers W8-DP disabled WD.

I will uninstall MSE and see what happens.

Thanks

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:16 PM
  • I uninstalled MSE on both of my W8-DP computers rebooted, then ran the update for WD on each computer.  I then rebooted and so far so good.

I have another question, not related to the one on this thread that I started.  However I decided to ask it here since I don't think it warrants a new thread at this time.

I use Belarc Advisor.   There was no problem in installing it in W8-DP.  However,  I noticed something very interesting in the report produced by Belarc Advisor.

Belarc Advisor says this about my W8-DP OS.

Operating System   System Model
    Windows 8 Ultimate (x64) (build 8102)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)

My questions are these.

1.  Will Windows 8 Beta also be Windows 8 Ultimate?

2.  Will users of W8-DP be able to upgrade to W8 Beta using the Windows updater?

3.  If yes to question #2 will the update be offered automatically when it becomes available to the general public?

• Edited by MikeAmerica Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:44 PM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:42 PM
  • To clarify orginal post about Anti-Virus , take a look at:

http://cyberdefend.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/anti-virus-for-windows-8-developer-preview/

Windows 8 Developer Preview is pre-Beta and Windows Product Team will still looking for ways to improve it for future build. It is better to follow up Windows 8 blog that update you with latest plan for Windows 8:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:26 AM
  • There is no difference in the signature and engine now, so the protection is the same, even the UI is mostly the same except MSE options like "Scheduled scan", "Limit CPU usage during scan to _ %", and some "Real time protection options" (Scan all downloads, Monitor file and program activity, Enable behavior monitoring") are missing in Windows Defender in Windows 8. And another difference is that it applies all actions automatically, no longer asks the user to remove, quarantine or ignore. So it's like a little dumbed down version of MSE.

Monday, November 28, 2011 12:08 PM