none
VS2012 Word 2010 Addin - installs, but doesn't load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I'm a VBA developer who has finally made the leap to VSTO.  I've successfully created my addin - runs on my development machine, and once I got a Digital Certificate - it installs on my VM running Windows 7 (64bit) and MS Office 2010 (32 bit) - I am using InstallShield LE 2012 and for some reason need to sign the setup.exe using signtool.

I've chosen .NET4 framework (full) - not sure if I need it or could use the Client.

After installing the vsto and dll files are installed the Program Files (x86) folder.  But when I open MS Word and look at the COM addins - it's not in the list.  But, If I double-click the VSTO file, it will install, and runs like a bought one.  In my Installer setup I defined the addin registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Addins\[ADDIN]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Addins\[ADDIN]

(DWORD) LoadBehaviour = 3; Manifest = file path (string); Description and FriendlyName = Addin name (string)

Do I need to add a process to the installer to have the addin load at the end? Something I've seen alluded to but not spelt out - if so could you point me to step by step instructions for how to do that.

I jut feel like I've been going around in circles from forum to forum, blog to blog, and half of them are different versions, and it's not clear what's still relevant and what's not in 2012.

I must be soooooo close, but something is missing - hopefully simple.

Would it be possible for someone to list all the critical components that need to be defined.

Do I need to Publish?  or is that just for ClickOnce deployments.  I am using Release, and creating a singleimage (setup.exe)

One thing I notice when I uninstall, is that the msi is not trusted - the msi is called something like D3453.msi - assume this is some kind of temp file - if so, how would I sign it? In IS Releases, I chose Windows Installer Package under the Signing tab. (And then I sign the setup.exe using signtool) - IS 2012 seems a bit buggy.  I have "Sign Files in Package" set to No.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks Suzy

Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hi - I've worked it out thanks to this great post at Stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/a/14698249

It turns out that it was the Registry Key that determined the Load behaviour - yes, that's how we spell it in Australia, darn it! - that was the culprit - I had spelled LoadBehavior, LoadBehaviour. 

As you may already know, you need to set two Registry keys:

HKEY_USER_SELECTABLE\Software>Wow6432Node>Microsoft>Office>Word>Addins>[company].[addin_name]

HKEY_USER_SELECTABLE\Software>Microsoft>Office>Word>Addins>[company].[addin_name]

Under both of these add:

Description (string): [addin name]

FriendlyName (string): [addin name]

LoadBehavior (DWord): 3

Manifest (string): file:///[INSTALLDIR]addin_name.vsto|vstolocal

Hopefully this will save someone a week!  Thank you Jeremy Thompson.

This post is also useful http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/cc442767.aspx

• Marked as answer by SuzyD Monday, November 18, 2013 10:07 AM
    • Edited by SuzyD Monday, November 18, 2013 10:11 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 10:07 AM