SP1020 warm site - Log Shipping vs Mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking at implementing a duplicate SharePoint 2010 farm in a DR site connected via a 1GB link. I know the recommended option is probably log shipping,  but I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about setting up Asynchronous Database Mirroring.  Is this a bad idea?
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:14 AM

Answers

• Async DB mirroring is a supported option, and if the connection between your primary and mirror SQL Server instance is >75ms RTT, your only choice.  Async DB mirroring does not wait for the transactions to be sent to the mirror prior to being committed to the principal database, so it is possible to have data loss in this scenario.

Mirroring sets the database on the mirror to be in an offline state, so until a failover is complete (manual w/o witness, automatic w/ witness), the database is unavailable to be accessed from that mirrored instance.

This will be "fixed" with AlwaysOn in SQL 2012.

I personally prefer SQL Mirroring to Log Shipping for simplicity of implementation, failover, and failback.

http://sharepoint.nauplius.net
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, November 11, 2011 3:43 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:20 AM

All replies

• I just configured mirroring (well my DBA did) for our SP2010 farm. We mirrored the contentDBs, social DB, and MMS Tagging DB.  All other DBs in warm standby location were configured by the failover farm and are not mirrored.  When we failover, we just attach the content DBs after failing over to the mirrored location and are up and running in < 15 mins.
    Dan Luciano - Sogeti USA - MCITP, MCTS WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Configuration WSS 3.0 Applicaton Development SharePoint 2010 Admin and Config
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:16 AM
  • Async DB mirroring is a supported option, and if the connection between your primary and mirror SQL Server instance is >75ms RTT, your only choice.  Async DB mirroring does not wait for the transactions to be sent to the mirror prior to being committed to the principal database, so it is possible to have data loss in this scenario.

Mirroring sets the database on the mirror to be in an offline state, so until a failover is complete (manual w/o witness, automatic w/ witness), the database is unavailable to be accessed from that mirrored instance.

This will be "fixed" with AlwaysOn in SQL 2012.

I personally prefer SQL Mirroring to Log Shipping for simplicity of implementation, failover, and failback.

http://sharepoint.nauplius.net
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, November 11, 2011 3:43 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.  I was going to set up log shipping when it occured to me that I could do asynchronous mirroring (I'm kind of new to SQL Server).

Looks like the latter is the way to go.  Cheers!

Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:52 AM