ssms 32 bit on 64 bit platform RRS feed

• Question

• no matter how i install, i always get 32 bit SSMS version on my 64 bit installtion. I have tried using single installer SQLEXPRADV_X64 AS well as stand alone installer for management studio. The issue is i don't see my 64 bit oracle driver when i try to import data using menu options... we are in 2016.  MS must have addressed this issue by now?

Monday, January 11, 2016 7:36 PM

Answers

• Hi MunishAr,

"The issue is i don't see my 64 bit oracle driver when i try to import data using menu options"

Which tool and driver do you use to import data from Oracle to SQL Server?  To make everything work smoothly, please ensure that you have done the following things.

• Download the Oracle full client.

• Install the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of the full client (Installation Type: Administrator) and reboot the server afterwards.

• Configure the Oracle clients (both 32 and 64 bits) by editing  the files tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora.

• Use the "Oracle provider for OLE DB" .

For more details, please review the following similar blog and similar thread.
    SSIS - Connect to Oracle on a 64-bit machine (Updated for SSIS 2008 R2)
    How to install Oracle OLE drivers for use in SQL Server 2008 R2 x64

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:07 AM
  • i always get 32 bit SSMS version on my 64 bit installtion.

SSMS is a plugin for Visual Studio and this is only available as 32 bit application. Simply install additional the 32 bit Oracle data components.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:51 AM
  • SSMS by itself is a 32 bit application so you dont have 64 equivalent

For using oracle provider you can install 32 bit provider and use it for your export import wizard

If in SSIS you can use 32 bit for internal development and local execution and may choose to revert to 64 bit while deployment to the server when it gets executed from job. It gets mapped correctly to 64 bit version which exists in the server

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi MunishAr,

"The issue is i don't see my 64 bit oracle driver when i try to import data using menu options"

Which tool and driver do you use to import data from Oracle to SQL Server?  To make everything work smoothly, please ensure that you have done the following things.

• Download the Oracle full client.

• Install the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of the full client (Installation Type: Administrator) and reboot the server afterwards.

• Configure the Oracle clients (both 32 and 64 bits) by editing  the files tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora.

• Use the "Oracle provider for OLE DB" .

For more details, please review the following similar blog and similar thread.
    SSIS - Connect to Oracle on a 64-bit machine (Updated for SSIS 2008 R2)
    How to install Oracle OLE drivers for use in SQL Server 2008 R2 x64

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:07 AM
  • i always get 32 bit SSMS version on my 64 bit installtion.

SSMS is a plugin for Visual Studio and this is only available as 32 bit application. Simply install additional the 32 bit Oracle data components.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:51 AM
  • SSMS by itself is a 32 bit application so you dont have 64 equivalent

For using oracle provider you can install 32 bit provider and use it for your export import wizard

If in SSIS you can use 32 bit for internal development and local execution and may choose to revert to 64 bit while deployment to the server when it gets executed from job. It gets mapped correctly to 64 bit version which exists in the server

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:59 AM