How to debug driver MFT in Metro style app?

Answers

• Hello Hardi,

At this time we haven't released any guidance on using a MF source, sink or transform from the Metro app environment (other than what Stan mentioned during "Build"). We are working on a series of samples that will show how to work with an MFT from your Metro build environment. I can't say when these additional samples will be available but I will announce their availabilty on my blog.

Keep in mind that I don't know that we support software only devices in Windows 8. We have specific APIs for adding a custom source to the underlying MF topology (again no guidance has been released yet concerning how to do this). Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:25 PM

All replies

• Hello Hardi,

Microsoft provides an AVStream wrapper MFT that makes it easier to expose an AVStream driver as an MFT. You can create your own MFT if you like.  Either way, the MFT will need to pass the hardware MFT certification tests in order to receive a certificate necessary to get merit in the MF pipeline.  Since the AVStream wrapper MFT already has passed the certification tests, it means less work on your part if you can use it. If you use the Microsoft MFT you will not need to debug into the protected process since you can debug your AVStream driver from the kernel.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Dear James:

Thanks for your reply.

We don't have AVStream driver!

We want to add effects to the sample driver MFT(Metro, not desktop).

Errors and bugs may arise.

Thus, debugging tools are needed.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Hardi

• Edited by Hardi_Liang Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:43 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Hello Hardi,

At this time we haven't released any guidance on using a MF source, sink or transform from the Metro app environment (other than what Stan mentioned during "Build"). We are working on a series of samples that will show how to work with an MFT from your Metro build environment. I can't say when these additional samples will be available but I will announce their availabilty on my blog.

Keep in mind that I don't know that we support software only devices in Windows 8. We have specific APIs for adding a custom source to the underlying MF topology (again no guidance has been released yet concerning how to do this). Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks,

James

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Hello James,

I want to know if my driver MFT can pass the hardware MFT certification tests. How will I do this? What test kit to use? Any information about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:33 AM