Can't find Advanced Features option on Windows Store Dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get my new Metro app registered properly for Live Connect access using these instructions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj856246.aspx

I registered my app successfully and through VS 2013 associated it with the store registration I created (App Info only since it is not finished).  Step 4 of those instructions say to click on the Advanced features option and then click on Push Notifications and Live Connect services info. However, I don't see Advanced features option anywhere so I can't execute steps 4 through 7.  Are the instructions wrong?  How do I go about setting up Push Notifications and Live Connect services info? 

-- roschler

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:40 AM

Answers

• I remember having problems with that too. It's one of the following:

1. At the Windows Dev Center go to the step named "services" and klick on the link hidden in: "If you have an existing WNS solution or need to update your current client secret, visit the Live Services site." make sure to complete the process over there,

2. If above doesn't work, try to create one at https://account.live.com/developers/applications

It's a while ago, but I think it's the 1st one. When you registered it, you can authenticate the Windows RT app with the Live Services library.

• Edited by edwardbdrecht Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by edwardbdrecht Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by roschler Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:43 PM

All replies

• I remember having problems with that too. It's one of the following:

1. At the Windows Dev Center go to the step named "services" and klick on the link hidden in: "If you have an existing WNS solution or need to update your current client secret, visit the Live Services site." make sure to complete the process over there,

2. If above doesn't work, try to create one at https://account.live.com/developers/applications

It's a while ago, but I think it's the 1st one. When you registered it, you can authenticate the Windows RT app with the Live Services library.

• Edited by edwardbdrecht Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by edwardbdrecht Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by roschler Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:43 PM
  • In the Store dashboard for that app click on Services. Then look for Live Services site link on that page and click there.

Ginny Caughey

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Always seems best to first associate the app from Visual Studio. Then under the Dashboard on the developer site, navigate to Live Services, e.g. "f you have an existing WNS solution or need to update your current client secret, visit the Live Services site."

From there, you'll see the "If your app uses Live Connect services, review:" heading and can use the Authenticating link to get your Client secret (which should only be used server side because you should be just sending a valid JWT). Then use the Representing your app link to fill in the details on the app, such as the redirect URI.

A couple notes on this section: Generally, you'll want to restrict JWT issuing unless you have more than one store app that uses the same backend service. This will not effect also using a Windows Phone app. Regarding the latter, you will also need to visit https://dev.live.com and select your app from My Apps, then API Settings and enable Mobile client app.

stonetip

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:11 PM
  • Thanks Jon,

1) What's a JWT?

2) Currently I have my secret "baked" into my app (not distributed yet).  I know from my Oauth days that's a bad thing.  But I'm not sure how to transit from a direct client side Live Connect login to something that goes through my web presence that holds the secret.  Is there a document showing how to do this?

Also, can I do the middle leg of the login process using a plain Azure web site, or is a Web Role required?

UPDATE: Ok, so a JWT is the auth token.  I found this document on single-signin, is this the correct document to follow for implementing server login for a client side Metro app properly?:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/hh826544.aspx

UPDATE 2: I have Live Connect sign-on working and I have a concern.  I never had to include my app's Live Connect "secret", not baked into my app and not in my web site (server side coding).  Although I provided an authentication redirect URL, I never created that page and that indicates there isn't any Oauth-style token based handshaking going on when a user logs into my Metro app.  So either something is grossly wrong, or you don't have to do any of that server side stuff when simply logging in from a Metro app?  Which is it?

-- roschler

• Edited by roschler Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:19 PM Update.
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:24 PM