getting error when trying to adding a data souce RRS feed

• Question

• HI all.

I am new to ADO.NET and have a emergency problem to slove.

I am using VS 2005 to open a solution that created by previous VS. After the solution is upgraded by VS, I was gonna add a data souce to the form. The destinated database is a sample called Northwind. But right after I want to add a table called "employee" as the object database in dataset, I got an error "error using the dropdown: Could not get type information for 'Getting_Started.NorthwindDataSet'"

I created a test form and did the same procedure but got no error at all. So I guess there must be something wrong with using VS 2005 to open solution created by previous VS.

Can anyone help me solving this problem? Thanks.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you are not using handcrafted Dataset. The ones mentioned seem to be designer-built. Therefore the old connection string is still in place for them. If the connection string changed in the meantime, you will have to go into the definition of the DataSet (Right click on the object and "Go to definition") and you will find the gernerated class. Somewhere in the code you will find the connection object which is configured to have a certain connection string. If you change that connection string, you will be able to refresh the metadata, which VS is obviously currently not able to do.

Jens K. Suessmeyer

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi all

I really need any advice to solve this problem. Thank you very much.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

you are not using handcrafted Dataset. The ones mentioned seem to be designer-built. Therefore the old connection string is still in place for them. If the connection string changed in the meantime, you will have to go into the definition of the DataSet (Right click on the object and "Go to definition") and you will find the gernerated class. Somewhere in the code you will find the connection object which is configured to have a certain connection string. If you change that connection string, you will be able to refresh the metadata, which VS is obviously currently not able to do.

Jens K. Suessmeyer

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:03 PM
  • I just had the same error and found your post while seeking a solution.

I normally don't use the Designer to do this, but I need to investigate a problem that happens this way.

Anyway, in VS 2005 I dragged a DataGridView onto the form and began setting it up. When I got to the dialog for

"Save the connection string to the application configuration file"

If I leave the CheckBox checked I eventually get that error (a few screens afterward), but if I clear the CheckBox I don't.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:49 PM