Using Dreamweave and Expression Web 3 or 4 by co-webmasters RRS feed

• Question

• If I use my EW4 and my co-webmaster has Dreamweaver , are there going to be problems when one edits a page and then the other, at some point, edits that page?

Or edit anything else on the site.  We alternate when one or the other is traveling.

The site was originally developed with Dreamweaver and I'd like to drop my copy and use EW4 .

Thanks,

HmS Gettysburg, PA
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 2:50 PM

Answers

• No problem at all for standard HTML and CSS. If the pages derive from a Dreamweaver-created DWT (template), there could be issues, since EW does not support some of the more advanced DWT functionality available in DW.

Basically, both are HTML and CSS editors, and the HTML and CSS produced by each is equivalent. Where questions may arise are in application-specific features, such as DWTs, or possibly formatting for inserting includes ("webbot" is not in DW's vocabulary). OTOH, they should just ignore each other's proprietary bits, so a little experimentation should let you determine the places or features where you need to exercise caution, if any.

cheers,

scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:00 PM

All replies

• No problem at all for standard HTML and CSS. If the pages derive from a Dreamweaver-created DWT (template), there could be issues, since EW does not support some of the more advanced DWT functionality available in DW.

Basically, both are HTML and CSS editors, and the HTML and CSS produced by each is equivalent. Where questions may arise are in application-specific features, such as DWTs, or possibly formatting for inserting includes ("webbot" is not in DW's vocabulary). OTOH, they should just ignore each other's proprietary bits, so a little experimentation should let you determine the places or features where you need to exercise caution, if any.

cheers,

scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Just to add a relevant question to the mix, since I don't use DW...

Would Asp.Net pages and code-behind pages be an issue, assuming the site under development uses them?

--P

Columbia, CA. USA The Gilded Moon-Sierra Nevada Photography
    "If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Yep, they sure would. Macromedia, now Adobe, have in my opinion made a big mistake by basically blowing off ASP.NET support. There is none to speak of, and there is nothing like the support available in EW. Also, since Dreamweaver does not include a development server of any kind, there is the additional factor of having to install IIS with ASP.NET support for local testing. That's pretty much moot, however, since DW's ASP.NET support is effectively non-existent.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Preston, Dreamweaver has no support for code behind and it asp.net support stopped at asp.net 1.

Dreamweaver understands and will update pages attached to EW DWTs since they use the same syntax as Dreamweaver 4 and earlier DWTs. As Scott mentioned the newer Dreamweaver DWTs have advanced capabilities like editable attributes I nested editable regions and conditional regions so if those features are used you will met be able to use EW without finding another way G accomplish the same goal.

The primary problem will be version control and keeping stuff in sync.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:37 PM