Questions regarding Planning a Project using TFS Scrum Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have added some items to the Product Backlog and I have added tasks to these Items and we have estimated the effort (as a team) and we have assigned the Tasks to members of the team (I have also set each of the team members capacity).

I am looking for guidance on a couple of things as we are new to Scrum and this is our first project using Scrum.

1. This Project is a Migration Project moving from SP2007 to SP2013. We don't have a set of business requirements.

The idea of using Sprints does not really work for us - tasks can span two sprints and we cannot break them down further.

At the end of a two week Sprint we will not have a shippable product and testing will not happen until the very end.

We have an 8 week development window and the System Testing and UAT will happen at the end.

What I have done is as follows - I have all the PBI's and Tasks in one Sprint which runs for 8 weeks (as this is what the hours on the Tasks add up to).

Is this the right way to do this?

2 Secondly, when I added the Tasks and entered values (in hours) for the Original Estimate fields and Remaining Work fields, how can I tell how long the overall Project will take? Within TFS where does it show the total count of hours for all Tasks? I did this manually and I then set the dates on the Sprint.

Looking for a steer or any advice on whether I am doing this the right way? Would appreciate any comments or feedback?

Thanks.

CG

Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi CG,

Thank you for posting here.

I am sorry that I'm not very clear about your first question? Could you explain it briefly?

About the second question, I think you could look at the TFS Sprint Burndown chart. It shows:

(1) Team's total capacity at the start of the sprint
    (2) 0 Remaining Work at the end of the sprint.

You could also look at the Sprint Capacity chart: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/work/scale/capacity-planning

These a charts could be added to your dashboard at Homepage.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:18 AM