Documenting a web site RRS feed

• Question

• I have been given the assignment of documenting the entire site's navigation.

They also want to see how and for what reason we would go to each page.

I.e.., I need to add an event to an order. So I need to somehow display the interactions of each page to go through a process. This could entail several pages.

So I thought that I could do Use Cases for this. My thinking was with Use Cases and Sequence Diagrams I could show the thought patterns to get from point A to point B.

My boss tells me today they want to the site map(pages) and then something else to dictate different scenarios.

My company is not very good at reading UML. In fact one other person bought UML in 24 hours. I however have read the entire OMG specifications, so I understand it pretty well. Yes that means I have no life.

I don't mind educating them, so I would like to stay in the realm of UML and/or Visio.

I don't need my work done for me, but would appreciate direction. Like I would use these types of diagrams to show this. etc... I come from a family of engineers so I can infer the technical talk.

I would appreciate any architects telling me what they would do.

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi nick,

If it's just a matter of staying on UML, possibly the State diagram fits better to document use-case navigation. However, if I'm in your place, if my boss is asking for the site map (a tree graph in fact) and a motivation for visiting each node... I would just narrow my outcome to what he wants to see. Is there any special commitment to apply some UML while fulfilling the requirement?

Sunday, December 3, 2006 3:02 AM
  • Not actually.

I created a Web Site Diagram with visio that shows the navigation.

I also need to show how and why would go through those steps. It does not have to be limited to UML. But I thought I should show the behavior to get to those points.

Nick

Monday, December 4, 2006 8:39 PM
  • Absolutely,

possibly a complimentary table documenting your Visio transitions could serve. For instance, the columns could be

Origin page          Event         Destination page        Observations
    =============================================================================
    Transfer form        Ok button     Transfer result         ...

I mean, agree with your boss first the kind of output he likes (he can sketch that in a piece of paper to let you figure out). Don't get so crazy trying to apply a universally accepted solution if this is just for you guys  

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 5:10 PM