Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion RRS feed

• Question

• User369345748 posted

I have the following app pool & website structure for different instances of a MVC web application whose design is being upgraded. 

AppPool A running with Credential A

-  Web App A V1 running with design version 1   **

-  Web App A V2 running with design version 2   **

AppPool B - Also running with Credential A

-  Web App B V2 running with design version 2   **

** These have different urls

Every once in a while ,  users of Web App A V2 get the error message below:  

'Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {B2BCFF59-A757-4B0B-A1BC-EA69981DA69E} failed due to the following error: 800703fa Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion.'

Web App B V2 running with design version 2   does not get the error, neither does Web App A V1 running with design version 1

I have seen 2 potential causes for this message described, but they do not seem to match the pattern of  what works and what doesn't :

Cause 1 in Visual Studio, using 32 bit dlls when 64 bit is required, or vice versa.   If this were the problem, then I'd expect Web App B V2 to also be failing.  

Cause 2 in IIS, Admin person has logged in & then logged out with App Pool id.   If this were the problem, then I'd expect all Web Apps ( A V1 , A V2  & B V2 ) to fail. 

Does any one else have any ideas about what might be causing this issue? 

Monday, January 6, 2020 12:08 PM

Answers

All replies