SQL Server Agent Permissions to mulitiple users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We would like to request permissions to setup and maintain SQL Agent jobs to two members of non-administrative groups.  Is it possible to set it up?  They job would be to execute stored procedure daily and outputting result as text file.   Do you need sysadmin server permissions to do so?  Thank you,

Monday, April 10, 2017 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi MayaAlex,

>>My understanding is that only one person who owns the job can edit/modify?

Only the job owner and sysadmin can do so.

>>Is there a way to grant those permissions to two people (or transfer when the person goes eg. on vacation)?

As far as I can tell, you cannot grant ownership on a job to two different people. Since re-assigning job ownership also requires sysadmin permission, I suppose the only way left is to ask you sysadmin to transfer it for you when required.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Hello,

SysAdmin permissions are not required, we have special SQL Server Agent Fixed Database Roles in System database "msdb", see Configure a User to Create and Manage SQL Server Agent Jobs

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by MayaAlex Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:09 AM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

SysAdmin permissions are not required, we have special SQL Server Agent Fixed Database Roles in System database "msdb", see Configure a User to Create and Manage SQL Server Agent Jobs

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by MayaAlex Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:09 AM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 12:04 PM
  • Thank you.   My understanding is that only one person who owns the job can edit/modify?  We have two people that we would like to be backups in case the  job stops, or needs to be edited or troubleshoot.  Is there a way to grant those permissions to two people (or transfer when the person goes eg. on vacation)?  We are wondering.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 5:18 PM
  • Hi MayaAlex,

>>My understanding is that only one person who owns the job can edit/modify?

Only the job owner and sysadmin can do so.

>>Is there a way to grant those permissions to two people (or transfer when the person goes eg. on vacation)?

As far as I can tell, you cannot grant ownership on a job to two different people. Since re-assigning job ownership also requires sysadmin permission, I suppose the only way left is to ask you sysadmin to transfer it for you when required.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:16 AM