none
C++ XAML RRS feed

• Question

• SITUATION:  I'm making a program to work with large databases and files.  It needs to be ruthlessly efficient so I decided to use C++ over C# and the .NET Framework...

PROBLEM: I'd prefer to make the UI using XAML, it's easy to use and build and makes building a nice UI a piece of cake.

QUESTION: Is there a way to include XAML in my C++ projects?  Keep in mind that performance is the biggest factor in the program.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:33 PM

Answers

• PROBLEM: I'd prefer to make the UI using XAML, it's easy to use and build and makes building a nice UI a piece of cake.
    This is being done for a fairly small city and the computers are really pretty old. 

I'm afraid XAML (WPF) needs memory and processor resources an old computer can't offer. Especially if you want to display a few thousands objects. Silverlight Out of browser is not as fat as WPF, but it's still .Net,

If you need performance reading large text files and fast display on an old computer, you may consider native C++, or C# WITHOUT Xaml. Or wait for Windows 8 ;) (but your old PCs won't run windows 8!)

You can make tests reading your CSV file in C++ and C#, that will give you some clue.

Also, you don't tell how you want the data to be displayed. A simple list, or something more visual ?

Last but not least, what experience have you in C++ ? In C# ?

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:46 PM

All replies

• I think you are choosing the wrong tools. You really should stick with C# for a database-type of project. Remember that for database applications the performance is determined by the database schema design and the implementation of the stored procedures. They almost are never determined by the choice of compiler for the client code. In other words, focus your energies on the SQL optimization, not the client code optimization.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:19 PM
  • So I'll clarify a bit and maybe you can help direct me.  Basically we've got what are called Point Clouds from a LiDAR system (Light Distance And Ranging).  The data comes from the equipment in a .csv format and includes upwards of millions of points, each of which have somewhere around 10-15 properties.  The app must plot, apply edits, group the points, change colors, move them etc. and do so in a ridiculously timely fashion.  This is being done for a fairly small city and the computers are really pretty old.  My goal with this is to minimize memory consumption and processor use while trying to make it react as quickly as possible.

So from what I'm being told... C# would be just as good in this situation?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:02 PM
  • PROBLEM: I'd prefer to make the UI using XAML, it's easy to use and build and makes building a nice UI a piece of cake.
    This is being done for a fairly small city and the computers are really pretty old. 

I'm afraid XAML (WPF) needs memory and processor resources an old computer can't offer. Especially if you want to display a few thousands objects. Silverlight Out of browser is not as fat as WPF, but it's still .Net,

If you need performance reading large text files and fast display on an old computer, you may consider native C++, or C# WITHOUT Xaml. Or wait for Windows 8 ;) (but your old PCs won't run windows 8!)

You can make tests reading your CSV file in C++ and C#, that will give you some clue.

Also, you don't tell how you want the data to be displayed. A simple list, or something more visual ?

Last but not least, what experience have you in C++ ? In C# ?

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:46 PM