SSMS the application cannot start RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 7 64 bits computer, I have SQL server 2005 and 2008 developer edition installed on my computer, and also visual studio 2005 and 2010.

Everything is fine until this couple of weeks, when I start SQl server management studio I got the application cannot start message. I fixed by reintall sql client tools. But this morning it happened again, this is the 5th time in this couple of weeks.

I don't what triggered it, twice happened when I use it after I come to office. But I cannot reproduce this, after I fixed I restart my computer, it works, so I'm really puzzled, and I don't want to the repair again and again,

Any ideas what happened, the visual studio opens fine.

Thanks

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

For this issue, I would recommend to submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. This connect site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:22 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:12 AM

All replies

• What is the exact message? Also have you checked the windows event log and sql error log?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:08 PM
  • The exact message is when I click SSMS shortcut, it tries to start the management studio, but failed with message:

"The application cannot start", I did check the windows event log, but did't find anything there.

The SQL server is OK, just the management studio cannot start.

Thanks

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Which management studio are you trying to open 2005 or 2008?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Sql server management studio 2008.

which is a shortcut points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"

Thanks

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:58 PM
  • http://blog.johnruth.me/2011/03/vs-ssms-this-application-cannot-start.html

Take a look at this blog, you may find it useful.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Thanks, I have searched this article, but you see at the end, it didn't fix the problem.

Also I noticed this may be related with SP4 of sql 2005, because I see in my windows update there is only one important one to update, that is sp4. but service pack is released for a while, but this problem for me only appears within the recent two weeks.

I don't really need SP4, but since our windows update is setup update automatically by company policy so I don't have control of it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Also you can try reinstalling .Net framework.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:34 PM
  • I did to reinstall .netframe work 4, it didn't fix it.

The only fix to repair the installation of SQL server client tools. But I have done this 5 times in two weeks. It takes about 10 minutes to repair.

I don't want to repeat to do this, but would like to find out what caused this and no longer need to break it again.

Thanks

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Hi ,

For this issue, I would recommend to submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. This connect site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:22 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:12 AM