is it possible to disable DCOM with asp.net and asp core sites RRS feed

• Question

• User-323149085 posted

Hello ,

i m using a VPS to host my sites and i m getting this note from Plesk 

"Your server might get compromised due to the critical vulnerability in Microsoft Windows Server’s default configuration " .

the work around that they have suggested to disable DCOM .

but i have no idea  if  it is possible without effecting my site 

and how  it will affect my sites.

Thanks 

Monday, January 6, 2020 8:11 AM

All replies

• User665608656 posted

Hi john_mm,

The Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) is a protocol that enables software components to communicate directly over a network. Previously named "Network OLE," DCOM is designed for use across multiple network transports, including Internet protocols such as HTTP. More information about DCOM, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958799.aspx

Warning If you disable DCOM, may you may lose operating system functionality. After you disable support for DCOM, the following may result:

• Any COM objects that can be started remotely may not function correctly.
    • The local COM+ snap-in will not be able to connect to remote servers to enumerate their COM+ catalog.
    • Certificate auto-enrollment may not function correctly.
    • Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) queries against remote servers may not function correctly.

For more details, you could refer to this link :

How to disable DCOM support in Windows

Best Regards,

YongQing.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:03 AM
  • User-323149085 posted

Thank you for your replay .

im still unable to understand the impact on my sites  

Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:29 AM
  • User665608656 posted

Hi john_mm,

It meanis, if you disable DCOM, it will affect the following settings in your pc:

• Any COM objects that can be started remotely may not function correctly.
    • The local COM+ snap-in will not be able to connect to remote servers to enumerate their COM+ catalog.
    • Certificate auto-enrollment may not function correctly.
    • Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) queries against remote servers may not function correctly.

Please confirm whether your site is related to these, if there is no contact, your site will not be affected.

Best Regards,

YongQing.

Monday, January 13, 2020 7:07 AM