DirectX Samples and Solutions won't run in VS2012. Incompatible projects.

Question

• I have tried numerous times to get open C++ DirectX samples. I have always gotten the same result, the solution loads with 0 projects, the project has parentheses beside it saying "(Incompatible)". When I click the project it drops down and says "The project is incompatible with the current edition of Visual Studio".  However, I am running Visual Studio 2012 professional with Update 3. All of the samples I have downloaded are for my version of Visual Studio. All of them should run on my Windows 8 Pro 64-bit installation. As far as I understand the DirectX SDK in now packaged into the Windows SDK. I have tried reinstalling the Windows SDK multiple times to no avail. I am not sure what I can try next.
    • Edited by Cory Gross Monday, August 19, 2013 10:32 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 6:57 AM

Answers

• So Win32 development works, but not Windows Store apps. If you are using a Windows 8.0 PC and VS 2012 Pro this should be supported. Seems like a faulty installation. Remove the VS 2012 product and try to resintall it is all I can think of to resolve this problem.

Did you install a Windows 8.1 Preview or a VS 2013 Preview on this system?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:45 PM

All replies

• I think you now need to download a 'sample pack' instead of individual samples - see the note on this page:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Metro-style-DirectX-18f98448

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Can you provide a link to the sample you are trying to run?

It sounds like you may be downloading a sample for Windows 8.1 Preview rather than for Windows 8. Those will require the Visual Studio 2013 Preview on Windows 8.1 Preview.

--Rob

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:41 PM
    Owner
  • Here is the link I am trying to run, I have made sure not to use those with (Windows 8.1):

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Visual-Studio-3D-Starter-455a15f1
    I get the same results as above. There are a few projects in that sample, the main one "StarterKit" says incompatible.

• Edited by Cory Gross Monday, August 19, 2013 11:00 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 10:59 PM
  • That project opens for me in both Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate w/Update 2 on both Windows 8 and on Windows 8.1 Preview and in Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Preview on Windows 8.1 Preview.

That project does include Windows Phone app projects as well as the Windows Store app projects: do you have the Windows Phone SDK installed? If not then those will likely be marked as incompatible. There is a related project Visual Studio 3D Starter Kit (Windows Store only) without the Windows Phone projects.

--Rob

Monday, August 19, 2013 11:09 PM
    Owner
  • @Rob Caplan

I do have the Phone SDK 8.0 installed as well, the phone projects show up just fine, it's the C++ project that is showing incompatible. I just downloaded the Windows Store only version you linked to and I get the same results.. incompatible.

• Edited by Cory Gross Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:55 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:54 AM
  • @Chuck Walbourn

The first sample you linked to works.. first DirectX sample I've been able to run at all. The second sample works as well. However, the third linked sample fails. So I suppose the Win32 samples are working, but it is the Windows Store apps I am interested in.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:55 AM
  • So Win32 development works, but not Windows Store apps. If you are using a Windows 8.0 PC and VS 2012 Pro this should be supported. Seems like a faulty installation. Remove the VS 2012 product and try to resintall it is all I can think of to resolve this problem.

Did you install a Windows 8.1 Preview or a VS 2013 Preview on this system?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:45 PM
  • This is a Dell Studio XPS 1647 laptop that came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed. Shortly after Windows 8 was released I purchased, downloaded, and installed a Windows 8 Pro upgrade. The upgrade to Windows 8 was just fine. When the Windows 8.1 Preview was released I attempted to download it from the Windows Store and tried to install it. It restarted my computer and began installing for a really long time, made the computer hot, and eventually failed out at around 90% and had to restore my previous Windows 8 version. I have tried this at least once more with similar results. I would attribute it to botching the Windows 8.1 upgrade, but I have actually been having this problem for as long as the first few weeks Windows 8 was released. One of the first thing I wanted to try was 3D Windows Store apps and back then I had the same results. I suppose I am going to uninstall Visual Studio and try a clean install from Dreamspark. Should I bother uninstalling the Windows SDK, Visual C++ redistributables, as well? Should I get rid of my VS2010 installation or would that not effect my current situation?
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:10 AM
  • I think that a clean install is necessary at this point.  No sense in continuing to fight with a machine when it's simple (although time consuming) to reinstall.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:10 PM