Role authentication (i.e., checking user's membership in an AD security group) in HTML/JS Windows 8-style app? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a LOB Windows 8 app for my company. We'd like to restrict access to a fairly small subset of our users. Is there a way for an HTML/JS app to check whether a user is a member of a given SG? I.e., the equivalent of IsInRole? 

Windows.System.UserProfile.UserInformation seemed like a good place to start, but I'm not seeing any methods there related to role-based enterprise authentication. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

Windows Store app doesn't provide that mechanism. If you want to do that, you should implement that by code. You could write server service or other method.

Roy
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Song Tian Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:49 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

Windows Store app doesn't provide that mechanism. If you want to do that, you should implement that by code. You could write server service or other method.

Roy
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Song Tian Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:49 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:21 AM
  • What might be an "other method," if we'd like to avoid running an Azure server solely for one app's enterprise authentication? Thanks very much!
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

For example, write some server side authentication code. And using Wjns.xhr in client side.

Roy

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:27 AM