How to stop running jobs? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running into situation; following jobs are running from 1/24/2012 2:55 AM and showing 0% done

Indexing Schedule Manager on WFE1                    WFE1 0%  Running 1/24/2012 2:55 AM
    Application Server Administration Service Timer Job            WFE1 0%  Running 1/24/2012 2:55 AM
    Crawl Log Report for Search Application Search Service Application.    WFE1 0%  Running 1/24/2012 2:55 AM

How to stop these jobs? will it affect on SharePoint backup job?
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is a OWSTimer.exe process which runs timer jobs.

if you go Start -> Run -> services.msc

The services dialog window will appear, then find "SharePoint 2010 Timer". If you stop this service all timer jobs will stop.

Hope this helps

Allan Merolla | BEng, MPM, JD | MCP, MCTS, MCPD | SharePoint/SQLBI/.NET | My Blog at http://www.parallelfun.com/
    • Edited by Allan Merolla Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:29 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Allan Merolla Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:31 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:30 PM
  • In order to stop any running job, you can do it from Central Admin by going to Monitoring and then click on Review Job Definition.

You can disable the job that you don't want to run. Not sure whether it will impact backup or not. So please be sure before stopping them.

• Proposed as answer by Victor Chataboon Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by YECMOSS Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Its server connected with a Farm ? or Standalone installation.You can identify this by checking "Server" title.If you find other than WFE1,

Be cautious to stop the jobs.May be your WFE1 is part of application services those running farm wide.

Please let me know if my post was helpful.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:05 AM
  • Thank you Allan, Geetanjali and Murugesa for you prompt reply. I just wanted to stop currently these running jobs. OWSTimer will stop all other jobs which is not correct solution. This is SharePoint farm having (2 WFEs, 1 Index and SQL Cluster)

These jobs are running from last 6 days showing 0% finished. I dont see any related error in ULS logs as well as EventVwr. This is started after I applied windows patches. I have not seen this before. I rebooted whole farm on offtime but no errors. I am not sure why they are stuck at 0%

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:41 PM
  • I thought disabling the job from central admin> monitoring>timer jobs  could work, but found this posts:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/00f55d34-df2e-43b1-9bd3-bb379dd0c483/

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/4b4e2284-48df-4fca-9760-7178646cf90d

The minimum impact seems to be restarting the Timer Job service..

good luck

ceren
    • Marked as answer by YECMOSS Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:41 PM
  • This is what I learnt from this post

"when you register a timer job, it creates a timer job definition. as long as timer job definition stays in, Sharepoint will kick off the job based on its definition which is for example every 5 minute or once in a day etc. So if your requirement is to cancel a job, you will need to delete the timer job definition. However if timer job has started executing, you can not really STOP it unless you reset IIS or stop Sharepoint Windows Timer Service. so programmatically you can control the cancellation of a job in advance before that scheduled time reaches but you can not really control the other thing which is to stop an executing job. and restarting WSS timer service is not a good idea to acheive the second part."

So If job is already started then do follwing steps

1. Disable the job, so it will not start as soon as restart WSS Timer and IIS

2. Restart WSS timer or Reset IIS (do it on down time)

3. Re-enable job if it is important and keep track for errors through ULS and Event logs

Hope this will help others

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:44 PM
  • You can run SharePoint Product and Technology Wizard. After completion go to Central Administration and then into search service application. Check if the crawling of the content sources is "IDLE". If not then go to services console and stop the timer service and then go to C:\Application data\microsoft\sharepoint\config and clear all the XML file and Start timer service again
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:25 PM
  • So......my answer was right and first....

I didn't explain my answer though, but the above does already so I won't now....

In addition you can attach windbg to see what each thread in the OWSTimer.exe is doing

Allan Merolla | BEng, MPM, JD | MCP, MCTS, MCPD | SharePoint/SQLBI/.NET | My Blog at http://www.parallelfun.com/

Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:29 AM