SSIS for transfreing data between oracle source and oracle destination RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

I am beginner in SSIS. 

It just came into my mind so want to ask guys expert like you.

Is it possible to use SSIS or BIDS on my machine to transfer data between oracle source and oracle destination?

Thanks

dimrd_SQL
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:21 PM

Answers

• If you open the toolbox in BIDS and create a "Data Flow Task" you can choose "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle."  I think you could use this to access and/or store data from and to an oracle database.  Please note that I don't have an oracle database myself so I haven't actually tested it out.
    • Marked as answer by Raymond-Lee Monday, February 21, 2011 5:25 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:46 PM
  • One such easy way would be just to use the Data Import Export Wizard.

You can choose the source and the destination [both Oracle] and move the data.

One benefit is that you can save this process as a SSIS package that you can open for studying and execute another time.

Data Import Export Wizard usage example: http://www.databasedesign-resource.com/import-and-export-in-sql-server.html

Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:36 AM

All replies

• If you open the toolbox in BIDS and create a "Data Flow Task" you can choose "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle."  I think you could use this to access and/or store data from and to an oracle database.  Please note that I don't have an oracle database myself so I haven't actually tested it out.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:46 PM
  • I am SQL DBA Roger and i have limited permissions on oracle so i cant play with oracle DB. So i was just curious.

Thanks

dimrd_SQL
    Friday, February 11, 2011 10:15 PM
  • One such easy way would be just to use the Data Import Export Wizard.

You can choose the source and the destination [both Oracle] and move the data.

One benefit is that you can save this process as a SSIS package that you can open for studying and execute another time.

Data Import Export Wizard usage example: http://www.databasedesign-resource.com/import-and-export-in-sql-server.html

Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:36 AM