Azure CDN help needed RRS feed

• Question

• So I have a Ruby on Rails Apps running on Ubuntu Linux VM in Azure cloud. So I would like to utilize azure Cdn in order to server the static assets from my ROR Public folder. So I had created a CDN using old azure portal using my VM as an origin server, from what I have read is that old Cdn does not support purging of the cache and in order to purge the cache you need to create a Cdn in new portal.
    So I have a couple of questions I CDN can I purge the entire cache, after deployment. Also, how much time does it take to reflect the changes, as creating the Cdn took around 24-32 hours to me.
    Also how long does azure hold the cache? From what I understand is that azure CDN will contact the origin server for any content requested and then it will cache the contents. So what is the cache duration for how long will the azure will cache the objects. Let me how to I server the Cdn in the most efficient way for my ROR application.

<g class="gr_ gr_998 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="998" id="998" style="display:inline;color:inherit !important;font-size:inherit !important;border-bottom-width:1px;border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-color:transparent;animation:gr__appear 0.5s ease forwards;background-image:linear-gradient(to right, rgb(43, 182, 115), rgb(43, 182, 115) 100%, transparent 100%), linear-gradient(to right, rgb(171, 226, 198), rgb(171, 226, 198) 100%, transparent 100%), linear-gradient(to right, rgb(202, 237, 220), rgb(202, 237, 220) 100%, transparent 100%);background-size:0px 2px, 100% 2px, 0% 100%;background-background-repeat:no-repeat, no-repeat, no-repeat;">Also</g> my development team will not be able to make further changes from the code level, so I think I would have to go to invalidate the cache from the CDN level itself. So my only concern is that how much time will it take to reflect the changes. Also, invalidating cache does it purge the entire cache or we can specify paths like /media /public like AWS has.m

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:33 AM

All replies

• To answer your questions.

1. Yes you can purge the entire cache, use "purge all" function from the new portal. It takes up to 2-3mins to complete the purge and the very next request will get the updated version from the origin.

2. CDN creating should only take up to 90mins. This is the time it takes for a configuration to propagate to all the edge POPs. If you have issues after 90mins, please contact our support and our engineers will investigate the issue.

3.  How long CDN holds the cache depends on the setup on your origin. CDN will honor the cache-control header value and if this header is not set up on the origin, CDN will cache the content for 7 days by default. Caching time can also be set up on CDN side. It's available in our premium offering currently.

• Proposed as answer by Antivirustalk Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:42 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 10:20 PM
  • @Manling Z spot on!
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:42 AM