Ways to prevent users RRS feed

• Question

• Recently at my job, my boss would like to crack down on the computer's useage. Essentially what we would like to do is prevent user's from being able to install or alter programs, and limit web browsing capabilities (basically allowing access to only certain sites.)  Is there a way to do what I described, preferably without any extra 3rd party software?
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:11 PM

Answers

• This is an administrative function, not a programming function, so you may want to ask about this in the TechNet forums.

In general, you do this by not giving typical users local administrative rights to their PC's and setting network wide system policies that disallow installing programs, using USB devices, and so forth. Note that this can have a negative impact on poorly coded or old Win95 era programs that expect to have free run of the system.

As for Internet usage, there are some built-in tools for Windows servers but a 3rd party solution, such as SurfControl, is probably a better idea since it provides a finer level of control with easier administration.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:29 PM
  • For for Windows troubleshooting questions.you can post in the following website

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:35 AM

All replies

• This is an administrative function, not a programming function, so you may want to ask about this in the TechNet forums.

In general, you do this by not giving typical users local administrative rights to their PC's and setting network wide system policies that disallow installing programs, using USB devices, and so forth. Note that this can have a negative impact on poorly coded or old Win95 era programs that expect to have free run of the system.

As for Internet usage, there are some built-in tools for Windows servers but a 3rd party solution, such as SurfControl, is probably a better idea since it provides a finer level of control with easier administration.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:29 PM
  • For for Windows troubleshooting questions.you can post in the following website

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:35 AM