Windows Journal in Windows Developer Preview

Question

• Hi. I'm using Windows Journal for one years now, to take class notes at university, and i love the simplicity of the software.   But.. yes there is always a But. I read a hundred forums and they all talk about the same bugs.  Problems when printing to PDF, problems when Printing FROM pdf (hey guys you didn't solve at least one of these 2 bugs in ..what 3 or 4 years ??) and here I'm not even talking about the eraser and lasso shifting with dualscreen mode....... Now win8 is almost there and, what a surprise, the same problems ! (no wait, one more , i can't even print a pdf to windows Journal as the program won't open again.. (yes the PROGRAM, not only the file. )

That says, sorry for the blast, overal i found windows 8 really attractive and surprising, it's Almost like an IPAD on my Lenovo X220T.

Hey, microsoft team, great work..

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:16 AM

All replies

• Could you explain your problem a bit more.

Could you provide step to reproduce this problem?

Do you have same problem in older version of Windows?

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:53 PM
  • I know it doesn't solve your problems, but have you considered OneNote?  Personally, I couldn't do without its organizational features.  I don't know how I'd go back to a million different files like is necessary for Windows Journal.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Hi BenoitCar,

I find printing the Journal Note files to PDF pretty easy in AcrobatX, doing the reverse is never successful. You are right, the Jounal simply closes down when I open the PDF in Adobe ReaderX, clicked on File to print it using Journal Note Writer. But don't you think it's an Adobe issue, rather than Microsoft's ? PDF files aren't very friendly when trying to open them in MS Office programs.

I agree with JHoff80, One Note is a far better program for your purpose, personally, I can't do without it, either. 

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:08 AM to add
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Thank you for your answers, 

I really like Onenote but I experience ink shifting problems which causes my class notes to be sometimes unreadable.. (many forums are talking about that..also, the impossibility to print real pages is not perfect for me)

I understand that the bug with PDF is probably just an Adobe issue... But as the first "real" tablet oriented OS, windows 8 should at least integrate a tool like windows journal, without any bugs or something... Inking with the finger touch represent a little problem and is useless. Scrolling with 2 fingers does not always work. Doing alot little dots in the page..

Thanks for the suggestions and I hope a better version of Journal and/or Onenote will come out one day...

Again, if you use Onenote, is this 2007 or 2010 version ? with a tablet-pc or keyboard entry ?  Both brings me ink shifting problems.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Really sorry, BenoitCar,

working mostly on desktop I am not in a position to fully comprehend your problem. You are right, Microsoft should work towards making Journal more stable. It was while replying to your Qs that I tried to open and Print a PDF in Journal for the first time, it stopped working and I had to reinstall its driver. Journal wouldn't open for long, so I tried opening one of its template and then Repair/reinstall its driver through the Tools; that's how frail it is! It's also time we have some app to open PDF files without having to install a third party software.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:59 PM to improve
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:58 PM