none
How do I get VB2017 to save projects to a default location instead somewhere on the C drive? RRS feed

• Question

• If a student, when saving work,  neglects to redirect VB from the factory default being on the C drive then the program is as good as trash.  This is further complicated by the fact that the project is saved onto the C drive and of course limits student access to the project to being on that one, and that only one, computer.

I want to inform IT to set the default to the student M drive instead which will not be on the students drive and accessible from anywhere.

I also understand that it is a simple enough step that even IT can handle it.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 3:06 AM

All replies

• I want to inform IT to set the default to the student M drive instead which will not be on the students drive and accessible from anywhere.

The default project location is part of options: Tools \ Options \ Projects & Solutions \ Projects Location.

• Edited by Acamar Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:11 AM sp
    • Proposed as answer by Devon_Nullman Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:07 AM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:10 AM
  • I guess I just don't understand this forum.  Right, Wrong, or otherwise, the first response always seems to get marked as answered.  Maybe I am not all that important here.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 6:07 AM
  • I guess I just don't understand this forum.  Right, Wrong, or otherwise, the first response always seems to get marked as answered.  Maybe I am not all that important here.

Just because you do not like the answer does not mean that it is wrong.

Without knowing what sort of image you want IT to create for you it is not possible to provide the details they require.  In any case, once you know how it is set by the user after installation, it is up to IT to decide how (or if) they want to do it for the image.  You haven't even indicated whether the users are accessing the machine under their own logins or under a generic login that was also used for the installation.  That difference is important because,  as noted in the answers you got the last time you asked this question, the default project file location is a per-user setting, and therefore it is not typically something that is part of an image.  It might, of course, be an instruction to the installer, but is much more likely to be a part of the process of first introducing the students to the VS user interface.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:45 AM

Your question is not marked as answer but proposed as answer. That is to avoid that threads become very long with nonsense while there is a good and short answer given. Acamar's answer is 100% spot on.

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 9:04 AM
  • I guess I don't understand. If that answer is "100% spot on" then why not just go in and mark it as answered? 
    Friday, July 7, 2017 4:40 AM
  • Because everybody can make a mistake and there is a second opinion, which was in this case mine. 

But what is your purpose here, misqualifiying the actions of persons who voluntarily help you or are you somebody who has a job or a hobby in getting as much knowledge he can get from others as is possible?

On the other hand, only the original poster and Moderators can mark a question as answered.

Success
    Cor

Friday, July 7, 2017 10:00 AM
  • Many times a reply will be marked as proposed is when other members feel this is the correct response to the issue at hand. 

It is up to you, the person asking the question if this is a suitable solution to your issue and if so mark it as answered after you have tried out the proposed solution. Otherwise come back and indicate there was issues or success then handle it accordingly.

As Cor wrote, this is how you achieve what you have asked.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, July 7, 2017 11:36 AM

Hi

A rather blunt remark! You are right in as much as your understanding is lacking, but you are making incorrect generalizations in that it is not always the case that the first response always seems to get marked as answer (proposed answer). And as you are a member of the class of all humans, then you are also wrong in thinking you are not all that important here, as all humans are welcome here and all are important.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Friday, July 7, 2017 1:51 PM