none
ADLS gen 2. Storage Account Max capacity.... and contingency RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

First post. Let's see how it goes.

I'm enjoying learning a working in Azure so far over the last year or so. I find specific questions hard to get specific answers. 

What is the maximum storage capacity of a ADLS gen 2 container in a storage Account?

Furthermore... what happens when you reach it? I.e I write an update to an existing file that increases the full size over said limit.

Also as I'm new here. Are there any recommendations of resources, apps to learn and ask questions?

Much thanks

James

Saturday, August 10, 2019 9:15 PM

All replies

• Hello James and thank you for your inquiry.  There is no limit to the number or size of a container, however there is a size for the storage account.  Since a container is part of a storage account, logically the container cannot exceed the storage account.

Citing https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-scalability-targets :

Maximum storage account capacity

2 PB for US and Europe, and 500 TB for all other regions (including the UK)1

1Azure Standard Storage accounts support higher capacity limits and higher limits for ingress by request. To request an increase in account limits for ingress, contact Azure Support. For more information, see Announcing larger, higher scale storage accounts.

I am reaching out internally to find out what the error message might look like, should you ever max out your storage.
    Friday, August 16, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:42 AM
  • @FinnsDad Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:44 AM
  • You can set a metric alert on your storage account, to alert you when you are nearing capacity.  In the portal, go to your storage account and click alerts.  Then click create rule.
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:10 PM
  • @FinnsDad  Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, August 23, 2019 5:50 AM