ARM Simulator causes Windows 8 Laptop to become unresponsive

Question

• Hi;

I've been using VS 2012 on a Windows 8 Profession laptop - to build and test Phone 8 apps and (hopefully) ARM based WinRT machines.

The work with Phone 8 has been fine both with the emulator and with a real phone.

Today I created a simple blank Store App project, then set it to build for ARM.

Then I started it under debug and selected 'simulator' as the target.

VS froze and I see a black rectangle for the simulator - but everything on the machine became unresponsive, even ctrl-alt-del yielded no reaction so I eventually had to do a forced power off.

Can anyone shed light on what seems to be a serious bug somewhere?

Thanks

Cap'n
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Cap'n

There is no ARM emulator for Windows Store apps. You can either test them as Windows 8 apps on your local system (directly or via the emulator) or remotely on an ARM device.

It's not clear what exactly is going on in the scenario you describe. The simulator should not be an option for an ARM build, so I suspect there's something missed in the steps.

--Rob

Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Cap'n

There is no ARM emulator for Windows Store apps. You can either test them as Windows 8 apps on your local system (directly or via the emulator) or remotely on an ARM device.

It's not clear what exactly is going on in the scenario you describe. The simulator should not be an option for an ARM build, so I suspect there's something missed in the steps.

--Rob

Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:43 PM
  • Hi Cap'n

--Rob

Hi Rob;

This is a Microsoft bug then - I just opened the test project and set the build to AnyCPU then selected simulator and it started fine.

Try this yourself and see if you get similar failure...so far as I can tell VS 2012 does allow simulator for a project set to build for the ARM CPU, it does not prohibit this...

Thx

Cap'n

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:06 PM
  • You are right, the simulator is offered, but attempting to debug with it should generate a deployment error before the Simulator is launched

Error : DEP0700 : Registration of the app failed. Windows cannot install package 6b9fb562-5989-45d0-aa52-aa117175a587 because the package requires architecture ARM, but this computer has architecture x64. (0x80073cf3)

This is expected and the comments in the error are correct.

The black screen you describe sounds like a video driver issue. The simulator is just a fancy remote desktop session back to the same machine. Do you get a similar issue if you try to do the same with the Remote Desktop Connection client? Does it go away if you switch to a more basic video driver? If you aren't running the latest version of your video driver, does updating it help?

--Rob

Monday, March 11, 2013 8:02 PM