Installing PivotViewer Extension for Reporting Services on Denali CPT3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

for my Bachelor thesis I have to check some features in the Microsoft SQL Server Denali. Most of all features are working great but I have problems with the PivotViewer extension for Reporting Services. First of all, all of the topics I found for this are for SQL 2008 R2. And in Denali the Report Server integration in Sharepoint 2010 is different from 2008.

I can install the database and the SharePoint features correctly. The Bi Collection Administration is shown in the site collection and I created a new site with the BI PivotViewer Inventory Crawler.

But when I run the Crawler with the AccountManagers or the AccountManagersEX inventory I recieve the following error message:

Error: Unsupported data format : application/vnd.ms-excel.12

At:

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, Message gault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultconverter) ..........

Excel Services Application and  Reporting Services Application are installed on the SharePoint. SP1 as well. Can somebody help me with my problem?

My second question is that I'm not sure which URL I should select for the Report Template - Web Address which I need in the BI Collection Administration. In all the guides I read that I can get my Report Server URL from the Reporting Services Configuration Manager but in Denali I don't use this one because there is the possibility to integrate Reporting Services directly. Also I don't have the option to choose "SharePoint Integrated Mode" when I install the Report Service Native Client and want to create a new database.

Any thoughts?

Greetings

Benjamin

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Benjamin,

You can refer to below link, the procedures in this topic guide you through a single server installation of Denali Reporting Services report server in SharePoint mode. The steps include running the SQL Server installation wizard as well as additional configuration steps using SharePoint 2010 central administration. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg492276(v=sql.110).aspx#bkmk_install_SSRS 

Hope this help you.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. I know this article and used it before I tried to install the PivotViewer. All the functions are ok to this point.

My second question was maybe not exact formulated. I an a little bit confused because the PivotViewer Extension wants the url of my Report Server. And in Denali and descriped in the article you gave me the Reporting Services integration is different from MS SQL Server 2008.

• In 2008 I installed the Reporting Services. Then I customized it with the Reporting Services Configuration Manager so that it runs with a Sharepoint Integrated database. Here I can also get the ReportServer url where my Report Server provides. Next I go to the SharePoint Central Administration and connect the Reporting Services to SharePoint.
    • In Denali you install the Reporting Services for Sharepoint and the Reporting Services Addin. Then install the Reporting Services SharePoint Service

My question was, if there is a general url in Denali-Sharepoint integration which I have to use for the PivotViewer extension.

But thanks for your respond.

Benni

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Hi Benni,

The general url in Denali-Sharepoint integration which you have to use for the PivotViewer extension is just the report's URL on the report server, you can get it by click the report on the report server.

You can refer to Build your own Pivotviewer app using the PivotViewer for SSRS on top of PowerPivot for some detail steps http://www.powerpivotblog.nl/build-your-own-pivotviewer-app-using-the-pivotviewer-for-ssrs-on-top-of-powerpivot 

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Challen Fu Sunday, October 23, 2011 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Hi Benni,

Did you manage to get this resolved and get it working ? - i am having the same issue in SQL 2012 Rc0. 

Any help would be great - many thanks

Andrew

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:03 PM