none
Referencing DLLs and executables…

Question

• Hello all,

I have read this article about referencing a DLL: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235636.aspx

I started following the step-by-step directions, to reference a DLL…  When I get to this sentence:

"In the Property Pages dialog box, expand the Common Properties node, select Framework and References, and then choose the Add New Reference button."

When I expanded the  "Common Properties" node, this is what I see:

When I click on the "Add New Reference" button, this is what I see:

I really haven't written a lot of code myself… In the middle of reading two books, "C++ Primer Plus 6th Edition" & "C# Certification" course book from an ISO compliant company. Coupled with YouTube videos, for the most part… If I take my time, I can read and pretty much understand what the program is doing and why.

I'm a quadriplegic utilizing Dragon NaturallySpeaking, a little more on this later…

I know I can add a DLL from my hard drive to a project to be able to see the code in the DLL, but… Would be really nice to be able to see the code from an executable, to be able to see how the executable is managing the DLL that's attached to it.

Instead of inventing my own wheel, I'd like to try to add some custom extensibility… I'd like to start with:

On-screen Keyboard, that comes with Windows…  I'd like to be able to see the code  behind "osk..exe", would be nice to be able to see how they are compartmentalizing their classes and functions. It would give me an idea of how I should, and what should be separated. Design patterns, I think is the correct term..

I actually like it's current layout:

After the "0"  along the top row… I'd like to add, at least 2 more buttons… And label them "C++" & "C#"… When pressing either of those 2 buttons, I'd like the Buttons on the right to change to a different set of buttons.

The new sets of buttons would be labeled frequently used keywords, take C++ for example… A button for "std::cout <<", "std::cin <<"… It's painstakingly slow and frustrating having to use my Touchpad with my elbow moving the mouse pointer around and hitting these keys one at a time. Took me almost 5 minutes to type out the simple "hello world" program.

I guess you could say these extra buttons would essentially be macros?

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi N8iv,

Thanks for posting to our forum.

I check with you a few question to understand your question.

Do you want to add some custom extensibility for the button in osk.exe?

If so, please tell me what language you want to use to achieve it so that I could move it to the corresponding language forum.

Because our forum is discussing about VS general question like how to set/configure Visual Studio and Visual Studio tools. 

By the way, if possible. I suggest you could describe your problem more clearly so that we could know what you want.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, February 4, 2016 4:55 AM
  • "Because our forum is discussing about VS general question like how to set/configure Visual Studio and Visual Studio tools."

Then this needs to be more clear… "Visual Studio General Questions"… That's a misleading Title for this forum room.

Friday, February 5, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi N8iv,

Yes, I also think this Title for our forum is a little misleading. Since our forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

In order to provide better help for you problem, we need to know what project type and which language you are using, which can let us find the correct forum and someone that familiar with your problem to help you resolve your issue. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Weiwei

Monday, February 8, 2016 4:48 PM