MDS Filter entity based on attribute from another domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope you could provide me with a solution to my problem. I have an entity (A), in which I use domain based attribute. The second entity (B) has several attributes. My problem is that, I would like to filter the first entity (A) based on an attribute that belongs to the second entity. The only way I can filter it (in MDS Excel add-in or Explorer) is by using Code or Name from the second entity.

I have in mind a couple of solutions, but they require some coding with xml saved query from Excel.

Is there out of a box solution that comes with MDS? 

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no out of box solution for the scenario you described. The MDS filtering is on single entity and to be precisely, the filtering to a select statement on view viw_SYSTEM_x_y_CHILDATTRIBUTES.
    So filter would only work on Name and Code attribute.

One possible solution is create a business rule dependent on Domain attribute and copy the other DBA attribute value to current entity.

For example,

Entity A, Attribute A1 refer Entity B, And Entity B has Attribute B1.

Then you can create attribute A2 on Entity A1 and setup a business rule to copy B.B1 to A.A2 when A.A1 changed.

And can you show how dynamic xml query looks like?

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:15 PM

All replies

• Clumsy,

Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:53 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any suggestions it would be great to hear them. I managed to create dynamic xml query, but I think there are more elegant ways.

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:10 AM
  • Hi,

There is no out of box solution for the scenario you described. The MDS filtering is on single entity and to be precisely, the filtering to a select statement on view viw_SYSTEM_x_y_CHILDATTRIBUTES.
    So filter would only work on Name and Code attribute.

One possible solution is create a business rule dependent on Domain attribute and copy the other DBA attribute value to current entity.

For example,

Entity A, Attribute A1 refer Entity B, And Entity B has Attribute B1.

Then you can create attribute A2 on Entity A1 and setup a business rule to copy B.B1 to A.A2 when A.A1 changed.

And can you show how dynamic xml query looks like?

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

I hope you could provide me with a solution to my problem. I have an entity (A), in which I use domain based attribute. The second entity (B) has several attributes. My problem is that, I would like to filter the first entity (A) based on an attribute that belongs to the second entity. The only way I can filter it (in MDS Excel add-in or Explorer) is by using Code or Name from the second entity.

I have in mind a couple of solutions, but they require some coding with xml saved query from Excel.

Is there out of a box solution that comes with MDS? 

I have placed a vote for this feature. This solution could really help with managing longer lists when using the Excel Add-in. To my knowledge there is not out of the box method for even sorting the codes that are shown in the cell pulldown for the constrained list, which makes finding the appropriate selection difficult and time consuming.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:40 PM