Creating Visual Studio extension similar to "View call Heirarchy" Visual Studio IDE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I need to create extension similiar to "View Call Heierarchy" in Visual studio IDE.

To be more clear, "View Call Heirarchy" retreives the method signature and obtains the call heierachy when cursor placed on the method Name. How is this acheivable through Visual Studio extensions?

Any help on the same would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Shishi

Best Regards, Shishi

• Edited by Shishi1988 Friday, October 11, 2013 10:02 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Call Hierarchy enables you to navigate through your code by displaying all calls to and from a selected method, property, or constructor. This enables you to better understand how code flows and to evaluate the effects of changes to code. You can examine several levels of code to view complex chains of method calls and additional entry points to the code, which enables you to explore all possible execution paths.

As far as I know, Call Hierarchy is a IDE new feature for VS2010, which is only available to C# and VC++. Maybe you can find some sample here.

Monday, October 14, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi cyy_happy,

Thanks for the quick response.

I guess you got my question wrong. I know how the call heirarchy works. But want to create similar visual studio 2010 extension. I have been working on Visual Studio for like more than a year but unable to know how the method signature is obtained when cursor placed on the method text.

Similar open source project could be of great help or any thoughts on the same would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks & Regards,

Shishi

Best Regards, Shishi

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:57 AM