How to add languages to Windows 8 Modern apps for certification RRS feed

• Question

• Windnows 8 Modern C#/XAML app with very little XAML .. its a game based on Monogame ported from Windows Phone.

The Windows phone app supports 7 languages and I would like to do the same for the Modern app.

I don't want to redo work by using the new resw file structure in windows 8/RT. My app knows at runtime looking at UserProfile.Languages to pick the language and display menu/game texts. And so the app is "localized" as it is.

However, when I upload to windows store, windows store does not "detect" it and only asks for English descriptions.

In windows phone, we had to edit the main project file to add

<SupportedCultures>es;de;hr;pl;pt;it;</SupportedCultures>

And the Phone store knew these languages were supported and asked for descriptions for each language. What do I need to do for windows 8 modern app?

Imran Shafiq @danglingneuron danglingneuron.wordpress.com

Monday, August 12, 2013 6:43 AM

Answers

• In windows 8 you have to edit the appmanifest file.

in the xml you will find a <Resources> element with probally something as <Resource Language="autogenerated" />

you need to replace that for the languages

so:

<Resource>

<Resource Language="es" />

<Resource Language="de" />

</Resources>

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, August 12, 2013 8:20 AM

All replies

• In windows 8 you have to edit the appmanifest file.

in the xml you will find a <Resources> element with probally something as <Resource Language="autogenerated" />

you need to replace that for the languages

so:

<Resource>

<Resource Language="es" />

<Resource Language="de" />

</Resources>

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, August 12, 2013 8:20 AM
  • I have the same Problem, but changing the XML does not help. This is my appmanifest:

<Prerequisites>
        <OSMinVersion>6.3.0</OSMinVersion>
        <OSMaxVersionTested>6.3.0</OSMaxVersionTested>
      </Prerequisites>
      <Resources>
        <Resource Language="DE" />
        <Resource Language="EN" />
      </Resources>
      <Applications>

Do I have to make other changes?

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:37 PM
  • One other note her... UserProfile.GlobalizationPreferences.Languages is not the best choice of language list to use for a Windows Store application.   The user language profile includes every language the user cares about, regardless of whether it's actually supported by the application or not.

The best list to use (and the one used by the resource loader) is Windows.Globalization.ApplicationLanguages.Languages, which is computed by comparing the user preferences against the set of languages supported by the application.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:36 PM