none
Error opening .pst file RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am working on a project where we connect to exchange mail accounts and also connect to .pst files.

    I create a temporary profile each time I need to connect to a different server or connect to another .pst file. I am able to connect to as many concurrent .pst files in unique sessions as I want as long as I only open .pst files. After connecting to exchange
    sever, I am not able to connect to PST files. Each future attempt to connect to a .pst file fails in IMsgServiceAdmin::ConfigureMsgService with a MAPI_E_NO_ACCESS error. If I pass the SERVICE_UI_ALLOWED flag to ConfigureMsgService I get the following message "The file <Path to .pst> has changed since you last ran Microsoft Outlook. The change will take effect next time you start Outlook."

    The Properties that I set before calling ConfigureMsgService are PR_DISPLAY_NAME and PR_PST_PATH. What am I missing that is preventing the MsgService to be configured for a .pst file in this scenario?

    Thanks for any assistance.

    Friday, May 11, 2012 8:01 PM

Answers

All replies

  • This is a known Outlook problem - try to add the PST file to an existing profile that has the Exchange service configured.


    Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.3 is now available!

    Friday, May 11, 2012 8:28 PM
  •  Errors in the pst file can be resolved with the help of inbox repair tool. It is a good and efficient application which comes with Outlook installation It is needed in this situation when you need to repair the pst file which is severely corrupted and recover information from it. Follow the steps to repair pst file with inbox repair tool https://www.filerepairtools.com/tips/repair-pst-file-with-inbox-repair-tool/

    • Edited by Alex kooc Monday, June 10, 2019 12:24 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 9:42 AM
  • For fixing pst error, try manual way  - scanpst.exe

    Saturday, August 9, 2014 6:42 AM
  • So, i ran into this same issue recently and figured out the issue and a workaround.

    When a PST file is PRE-EXISTING and you call the ConfigureMsgService method, mapi attempts to load and validate the PST file.  This causes the NoAccess issue.

    However, if you create a profile to a non-existing pst file, mapi will create the new pst file without issue.

    The workaround is to create a profile to a non-existing profile first, then after ConfigureMsgService has done its work on the profile, modify the profile by doing the following:

    1. Change the PR_PST_PATH value in the provider to the path of the existing PST file that you want to open.
    2. Remove the PR_ENTRYID property from the provider.
    3. Remove the PR_MDB_PROVIDER property from the provider.
    4. Delete the temporary pst file created during ConfigureMsgService.

    When the next mapi logon occurs to this profile, mapi will "fix up" the missing value based on the PR_PST_PATH value in the profile.


    -Eriq VanBibber, CTO, Priasoft Inc.

    Friday, July 5, 2019 3:36 PM