Public Sub RRS feed

• Question

• User1636054312 posted

Hello,

i'm quite new to asp.net using vb.

at the moment i've got created a sub to write some actions to a xml log file.

everything works fine, the only thing is that i need the source code on multiple pages, is there a way to include this code from a sepperate file, so when i've got some changes to make to the sub i only have to change it once?

Code:

Private sub WriteXML(ByVal XMLAction As String, ByVal XMLType As String)
            Dim f As File
            Dim FileName As String = Server.MapPath("log\log.xml")
            Dim lines As List(Of String) = New List(Of String)(File.ReadAllLines(FileName))

'Remove Last Line
            lines.RemoveAt(lines.Count - 1)
            File.WriteAllLines(FileName, lines.ToArray())

Dim fstream As FileStream
            If f.Exists(FileName) Then
                fstream = New FileStream(FileName, FileMode.Append, FileAccess.Write)
            Else
                fstream = New FileStream(FileName, FileMode.Create, FileAccess.ReadWrite)
            End If
            Dim sWriter As New StreamWriter(fstream)

'Write Lines To XML File
        	sWriter.Write("<event>")
        	sWriter.Write(Environment.NewLine)

sWriter.Write("<Type>" 			+ XMLType 				+ "</Type>" 		+ Environment.NewLine)
        		sWriter.Write("<User>" 			+ Session("User") 		+ "</User>" 		+ Environment.NewLine)
       		 	sWriter.Write("<Speaker>" 		+ ""					+ "</Speaker>" 		+ Environment.NewLine)
    	   	 	sWriter.Write("<Session>" 		+ ""					+ "</Session>" 		+ Environment.NewLine)
      		  	sWriter.Write("<Presentation>" 	+ ""					+ "</Presentation>" + Environment.NewLine)
    		    sWriter.Write("<Date>" 			+ now() 				+ "</Date>" 		+ Environment.NewLine)
    		    sWriter.Write("<Info>"			+ XMLAction 			+ "</Info>" 		+ Environment.NewLine)

sWriter.Write("</event>" + Environment.NewLine)

sWriter.Write("</log>")
            sWriter.Close()
        End Sub	

Thanx in advanced

Best Regards,

Eltjo Schol

Friday, October 1, 2010 2:58 AM

Answers

• User-660870441 posted

When i put the function as shared sub in my MasterPage.Master.vb i get the following error:

BC30369: Cannot refer to an instance member of a class from within a shared method or shared member initializer without an explicit instance of the class.

On the following line: Dim FileName As String = Server.MapPath("log\log.xml")

Thanx So far :)

Hi,

To resolve this issue, please change this code to:

Dim FileName As String = HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("log\log.xml")

After defined the method as shared, then you can call it by this way:

MasterPage.WriteXML()

If you like, you can create a new class to hold this method.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 11:42 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

You can create a C# class

Right idea but this is a VB.NET forum Wink

is there a way to include this code from a sepperate file, so when i've got some changes to make to the sub i only have to change it once?

Good question - the process here is to create a class (or module, pretend I didn't say module) and mark it with an access level that can be seen throughout the application.  The easiest way to do this is to create a 'Public' class and mark the methods within it 'Public Shared' like the code in the following block:

Public Class MyMethods

Public Shared Function GetWinUserInformation() As String
              Return System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
        End Sub

End Class

Now from your .aspx page .vb behind you will be able to call it using code like you see below:

Dim UserInfo As String = String.Empty
    'Call shared method on 'MyMethods' class
    UserInfo = MyMethods.GetWinUserInformation()
    'Maybe post the name to the string
    Me.lblUser.Text = UserInfo

As mentioned you can place this class in the 'App_Code' folder, but in reality it can go anywhere in your project.  Just right-click your project in the VS.NET Solution Explorer IDE and select Add -> New Item. Add a class in your project and if you use the proper 'Access Level' on your class methods, you will be able to call it from anywhere you need.  Shared methods in public classes do not require instantiation either; you can call them directly as I did above.

For more information on the access levels in VB.NET, please read the following:

Access Levels in Visual Basic:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/76453kax.aspx

Hope this helps! Smile

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:48 PM

All replies

• User1872574491 posted

Hi,

Just put this function in any class and make it as shared.

So it will be accessed with ease.

Friday, October 1, 2010 3:41 AM
  • User1636054312 posted

When i put the function as shared sub in my MasterPage.Master.vb i get the following error:

BC30369: Cannot refer to an instance member of a class from within a shared method or shared member initializer without an explicit instance of the class.

Friday, October 1, 2010 3:47 AM
  • User1872574491 posted

Hi,

what i mean put it in different class in app_code folder.Not on master page or page class.

Friday, October 1, 2010 3:52 AM
  • User-660870441 posted

Hi,

To resolve this issue, please change this code to:

Dim FileName As String = HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("log\log.xml")

After defined the method as shared, then you can call it by this way:

MasterPage.WriteXML()

If you like, you can create a new class to hold this method.

Monday, October 4, 2010 11:42 PM
  • User-1148431695 posted

Hi,

You can create a C# class inside App_Code folder and mark it as shared. Then add your function in the class and mark it as shared.

Then you can call the method from anywhere using the following syntax:

class.methodname 

Monday, October 4, 2010 11:52 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

You can create a C# class

Right idea but this is a VB.NET forum Wink

is there a way to include this code from a sepperate file, so when i've got some changes to make to the sub i only have to change it once?

Good question - the process here is to create a class (or module, pretend I didn't say module) and mark it with an access level that can be seen throughout the application.  The easiest way to do this is to create a 'Public' class and mark the methods within it 'Public Shared' like the code in the following block:

Public Class MyMethods

Public Shared Function GetWinUserInformation() As String
              Return System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
        End Sub

End Class

Now from your .aspx page .vb behind you will be able to call it using code like you see below:

Dim UserInfo As String = String.Empty
    'Call shared method on 'MyMethods' class
    UserInfo = MyMethods.GetWinUserInformation()
    'Maybe post the name to the string
    Me.lblUser.Text = UserInfo

As mentioned you can place this class in the 'App_Code' folder, but in reality it can go anywhere in your project.  Just right-click your project in the VS.NET Solution Explorer IDE and select Add -> New Item. Add a class in your project and if you use the proper 'Access Level' on your class methods, you will be able to call it from anywhere you need.  Shared methods in public classes do not require instantiation either; you can call them directly as I did above.

For more information on the access levels in VB.NET, please read the following:

Access Levels in Visual Basic:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/76453kax.aspx

Hope this helps! Smile

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:48 PM
  • User1636054312 posted

This was exact what i was looking for :)

Thanx for all the good Advise :) everything works right now

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:15 AM
  • User-1148431695 posted

Hi,

Thanks for the correction. Since I am working on C#, I just wrote C# by mistake. Forgot that the issue was in VB.NET forum :) 

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:42 AM