none
Folders expanded when client-side rules move mail to them - can this behaviour be changed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

It seems trivial but the behaviour of a client-side rule (e.g. mark as read) when moving an incoming message to a folder is that the folder it moves the message to expands. I and many people in my company desperately want to change this. Is this problem solveable? Even with code?

e.g.

I have an incoming rule that moves anything with the subject of 'foo' to my 'bar' folder - the 'bar' folder is under 'Blah', so folder structure

Blah

--- Bar

--- Other Folder

--- Another Folder

If I minimise Blah and then receive a message that gets filed there and marked as read it expands

It's extremely disruptive behaviour especially when you have many nested sub-folders (As many of us do!)

Is there any chance we can have an ultimate way-to-sort-this-problem thread with any ideas (no matter how crazy?)

I have currently considered and would love reflections on the following:

- Using server-side rules and running script to mark all emails as read every 5 minutes (i suspect this might still expand the folders?)

- Rewriting the rule logic entirely in c# (i suspect this might not help due to the Outlook API)

- Putting my head in a bucket of sand until the end of time or the release of Office 2012 and (one would hope, as we did with 2010) a resolution

Monday, March 12, 2012 9:03 PM

Answers

• Hi HC86,

It's based on my experience that you might create a VBA script on you side and use it in your Outlook's rule. You can decide whether the mail need handling via retrieve the key words of the mail subject etc. And decide whether mark it as Read. I think it might help you.

Please take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306108 How to create a script for Outlook rule wizard.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:11 AM

All replies

• I'm afraid there's no way in the Outlook Object Model to expand or collapse folders anywhere.  I'm actually surprised at the expand behavior you describe; I've never noticed it.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Hi Eric,

It's only if you have a client-side function such as 'mark as read' enabled, I get a lot of emails that I store in a folder largely for audit, I won't look at them unless something is wrong - so I don't like them to show up as unread. I literally have a folder called 'Logs' with several subfolders by system e.g. '- Logs -- SystemA --SystemB'

I just realised the other day that I collapse that Logs folder every 10 minutes of every day, i've been doing it for months without thinking about why it kept reopening itself! :-)

A workaround is stop marking these emails as read (so making it a server side rule) but that's likely to get on my nerves just as much :-(

There's a lot of other reported cases of this since Exchange 2003 throughout the interwebs

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Hi HC86,

It's based on my experience that you might create a VBA script on you side and use it in your Outlook's rule. You can decide whether the mail need handling via retrieve the key words of the mail subject etc. And decide whether mark it as Read. I think it might help you.

Please take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306108 How to create a script for Outlook rule wizard.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:11 AM
  • Hi HC86,

Any Update?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:54 AM