Possible to same identical sql instance name in a domain RRS feed

• Question

• Would it be possible to have identical sql instance residing in 2 different servers in the same domain for SWL 2008 R2
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:28 AM

Answers

• You can have two instances with the same name on different servers, for example a named instance called [myInstance], on seperate servers, i.e. server1.domain1 and server2.domain1 so you would have...

server1\myInstance

...and...

server2\myInstance

Thanks

/Neil Moorthy - Senior SQL Server DBA/Developer (MCITP (2005/2008), MCAD, ITILv3, OCA 11g) Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem

• Marked as answer by fartmans Friday, October 12, 2012 1:57 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:34 AM
  • Hello,

It's is not possible to have two servers with the same name... or I should say it *would* be possible but there would be huge implications such as dns errors, network traffic being incorrectly routed, SPNs not working, etc.

Having said that, it is not possible to have two *working* servers with the same name, thus the instance name doesn't matter as it's unique between servername and instancename (server\instance). Two servers having different names but the same instance name doesn't pose a problem as it is still unique. SPNs won't be affected because the servername, service account, and port number are all required which should impose even more uniqueness if the correct security model is being followed, i.e. not using the same domain account for more than one service.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy, MCC | Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by fartmans Friday, October 12, 2012 1:56 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:16 PM
    Answerer
  • yes you can create can ,

if you have the same name but in the mirroring server is identified by the FQDN

Fully Qualified Domain Name which is different from other

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:28 PM

All replies

• You can have two instances with the same name on different servers, for example a named instance called [myInstance], on seperate servers, i.e. server1.domain1 and server2.domain1 so you would have...

server1\myInstance

...and...

server2\myInstance

Thanks

/Neil Moorthy - Senior SQL Server DBA/Developer (MCITP (2005/2008), MCAD, ITILv3, OCA 11g) Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem

• Marked as answer by fartmans Friday, October 12, 2012 1:57 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:34 AM
  • My option is to have different names but having ALIAS  and then connect  to the server.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    MS SQL Consultants: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:48 AM
  • thks for the info but in this case can i create mirroring between these 2 servers since they have the same instance name; but if both instance are in the same domain does it not mean both SPN will be the same and will such setup cause any issues when both of these servers are are joined to AD
    • Edited by fartmans Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:30 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:27 AM
  • NO

it is not possible to have same instance in same domian as we cant have same IP in Same Domain.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:21 AM
  • Hi this is confusing as another forumer mentioned it is possible while others mentioned it cannot be done; any one actually tried having 2 identical instance in the same domain but each instance residing on a different server and able to perform mirroring between these 2 instance?
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:13 PM
  • Hello,

It's is not possible to have two servers with the same name... or I should say it *would* be possible but there would be huge implications such as dns errors, network traffic being incorrectly routed, SPNs not working, etc.

Having said that, it is not possible to have two *working* servers with the same name, thus the instance name doesn't matter as it's unique between servername and instancename (server\instance). Two servers having different names but the same instance name doesn't pose a problem as it is still unique. SPNs won't be affected because the servername, service account, and port number are all required which should impose even more uniqueness if the correct security model is being followed, i.e. not using the same domain account for more than one service.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy, MCC | Blog | Twitter

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:16 PM
    Answerer
  • yes you can create can ,

if you have the same name but in the mirroring server is identified by the FQDN

Fully Qualified Domain Name which is different from other

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:28 PM
  • thks for the info :)
    Friday, October 12, 2012 1:56 AM