Silverlight with MS Access Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I want to develop a silverlight application which has MS Access as back end. Being a new bie to silverlight thing, i want to know what cud be the best design i cud fit into develop this. For sql server i found out we have entity framework.

Below are my concerns

--> Does Entity framework support MS Access?

--> Can i use MVVM here?

--> Other than WCF is there any other approach to connect Silverlight with access DB?

Appreciate if you cud guide me to develop this

Regards,

Avi

Friday, June 3, 2011 1:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Avi.

1.) EF does not support MS Access. The involved OleDb provider is missing some features that are required by EF (more on this here). You can still use RIA Services; e.g. access your Access Db using ADO.NET, create your DTO (RIA entities) manually and map the Access data to those entities.

2.) MVVM is a client-side concept. What kind of data access layer you're using in your service has no effect on that, so the answer is yes.

3.) I've seen people try that with out-of-browser apps using COM automation, but it's no fun. There's no built-in support for this in Silverlight, if you meant that.

To be honest, I'd recommend anyone to drop MS Access and migrate to a real database (like SQL Server) for a scenario like building a web application. I know that sometimes this is not possible due to legacy, but if you try to do this, it will be distincly harder than using a backend that e.g. is supported by EF etc.

Friday, June 3, 2011 4:51 AM
  • To add on, what you want instead of Access is SQL Server Compact Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/compact.aspx).

That is the version of SQL Server that runs embedded inside your application so you don't have to have a separate SQL Server to host your database.

Friday, June 3, 2011 11:35 AM
  • thanks much.

Monday, June 6, 2011 12:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Avi.

1.) EF does not support MS Access. The involved OleDb provider is missing some features that are required by EF (more on this here). You can still use RIA Services; e.g. access your Access Db using ADO.NET, create your DTO (RIA entities) manually and map the Access data to those entities.

2.) MVVM is a client-side concept. What kind of data access layer you're using in your service has no effect on that, so the answer is yes.

3.) I've seen people try that with out-of-browser apps using COM automation, but it's no fun. There's no built-in support for this in Silverlight, if you meant that.

To be honest, I'd recommend anyone to drop MS Access and migrate to a real database (like SQL Server) for a scenario like building a web application. I know that sometimes this is not possible due to legacy, but if you try to do this, it will be distincly harder than using a backend that e.g. is supported by EF etc.

Friday, June 3, 2011 4:51 AM
  • To add on, what you want instead of Access is SQL Server Compact Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/compact.aspx).

That is the version of SQL Server that runs embedded inside your application so you don't have to have a separate SQL Server to host your database.

Friday, June 3, 2011 11:35 AM
  • thanks much.

Monday, June 6, 2011 12:20 AM