none
Send infopath form as an email

Question

• Hi

How can I send an infopath form  (completed) as an email (html). I have tried to send with the "File - Send to" function but that brings up a form loading image in the email. What is the quickest solution for this?

• Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 18, 2010 8:37 AM always use the question type so people get credit for their replies to you
    Friday, June 18, 2010 8:15 AM

Answers

• I have the answer:

You create a data connection where you set the connection to send an email. Set the email option to send only the current view and not as an attachment. Create a email friendly view to email and on your email button add a rule and set the actions as follows:

1. Change to the view you created.
    2. Submit to your email connection.
    3. Switch back to your default view.

As easy as that!

• Marked as answer by Juran Human Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:23 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:23 AM

All replies

• Please always use the question type.  This is a question, but you used the discussion type and no one can get credit for answering.

To send a form as an email, you use the Submit to Email data connection.  I don't recommend sending forms as emails, though.  It's best to submit to the form library, then send a workflow notification email with a link back to the form so that it always stays in one place and is always associated with its template directly.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 18, 2010 8:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Juran Human Friday, June 18, 2010 8:55 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 8:34 AM
  • What I would like to do is send like a screenshot or an image of the form. It must just show the completed form without any functionality.

Would this be possible?

I do not want to send the actual form as this would be a problem because not everyone would have access to infopath

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:38 AM
  • ps....sorry for using the discussion type!
    Friday, June 18, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Why not just link users to the form so they can open it and see it in display (read-only) mode?  That's the normal way to do it.  Sending an image or screenshot of the form is abnormal from my perspective.

Is this not a browser form?  If you're not using browser forms, and you want people to see the forms, then you have disconnect.  You would need to print to PDF and then email the PDF (or something along those lines).

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:45 AM
  • Our client wants to email the form. It's in the spec and orders from the boss. There is a function that you can send the form as an html email but it displays the loading form screen for some reason. I can build the email in the code behind but leaves me with a problem that you cannot insert a mail address and has to be hard coded. This does not help me as everyone needs to be able to send the form where they want to.

This is a browser form, yes!

Now if I need to convert to pdf...is there a simple way to do this?

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:52 AM
  • If it's a browser form, then users should be sent to the form.  The client should be told this instead of you having to try to shoehorn something that wasn't meant to be done, imo.  If you can't consult to the client to let them know how it works and what is best for their time and money, then that's a shame.

I don't know of a way to do anything like this in a browser form, because you don't even get options as a user.  You said you tried the "File - Send to," but that's not even available in a browser form - none of the options you mentioned are.  The only thing you can do in a browser form is print.  You click Print Preview, which takes you to a print view, then you click print, and it pops up the print window where you can choose as user to print to PDF if the user's machine has the capability installed on the local machine.

Not trying to be obtuse here, but it sounds like the client needs to be consulted with and have the requirements rearranged in a manner that fits what the tool can do, not just make requirements regardless of what the tool does...unless they want you to write custom code, which then requires the form to be published as an admin-approved form that has to be uploaded to Central Admin, activated as a feature, and reset IIS every time you do it.

Friday, June 18, 2010 9:10 AM
  • I generally agree with Clayton.  However, i was also in a situation where I needed to create an image type version of a form.  In this case, the form was an expense report filled in by a vendor that had to be turned into an invoice and sent to a 3rd party payer group with complex rules and who would not have access to sharepoint.

I wrote a little bit about the process here: http://www.mstechblogs.com/paul/quick-hit-reading-infopath-xml-directly-from-an-splistitem-in-sharepoint

Basically, you need to write some custom code that opens up the XML of the form and generates the format you need.

It's not the hardest thing in the world, but certainly non-trivial.

--Paul Galvin, Computer Generated Solutions (CGS)
      Microsoft MVP - SharePoint
      Blogging @ http://www.mstechblogs.com/paul
      Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/pagalvin
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:39 AM
  • I have the answer:

You create a data connection where you set the connection to send an email. Set the email option to send only the current view and not as an attachment. Create a email friendly view to email and on your email button add a rule and set the actions as follows:

1. Change to the view you created.
    2. Submit to your email connection.
    3. Switch back to your default view.

As easy as that!

• Marked as answer by Juran Human Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:23 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:23 AM
  • I thought you would have already done that.  If you didn't do that, then what were you doing before?
    • Marked as answer by Juran Human Friday, June 25, 2010 6:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Juran Human Friday, June 25, 2010 6:05 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hi Clayton

I am new to Infopath and did not know this functionalty existed!

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:05 AM