none
Updates of WEC2013 is not included in the build RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I'm running WEC2013 on ARM platform. I wan't to update the WEC2013 build with the latest releases. On my building computer, I've updated WEC2013 to verion 8.2.6228.0, but when I build (using VS2013) and flash the image to the hardware, the version is still 8.0.6228. I use "Microsoft Remote System Information" to check this.

I saw somewhere that one must run Clean Sysgen for these types of updates to work, so I've tested that but with the same behaviour.

Does anyone have any idea of how to solve this?

Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi David

The version of the Installer (WindowsEmbeddedCompact2013.exe) does not necessarily match with the OS version it installs.

The newest updater released November 16 has the version 8.2.6229.0.
    The OS version information found in the installed header files "($WINCEROOT)\public\common\sdk\inc\bldver.h" has is 8.0.6228.0.

In past updates, the OS version (in bldver.h) did not change at all - and does not match with the version of the installer.

So the version you get from your target device should be fine.

Concerning BSP update: I have not seen Compact 2013 updates so far that required a BSP update.

To figure out, which BSP is used you can:
    - open the 'build.log' file found in the %WINCEROOT% (typically C:\WINCE800) folder. Search for the environment variable "_TARGETPLATROOT". Its value gives BSP path you're using.

MVP Windows Embedded

• Marked as answer by SB_dame Monday, November 23, 2015 7:02 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi SB_Dame,

There are couple of things you can try:

1. Make a new platform and build. Does it get the new files?

2. Rename the release directory to force a rebuild of your current release directory. Does that produce the new files?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, November 12, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl

Thank you for the response. I have tried uninstalling the BSP, removing all the files in the WINCE800/platform/our_bsp/ and WINCE800/osdesigns folder, and then reinstalling the BSP again. The BSP comes with the project file.

So point 2 is already tested. I will try creating a new platform from scratch with our BSP to try out number 1.

BRs
    SB_dame

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 10:58 AM
  • Hi again

I've made a new solution using the installed BSP, but I end up with the same OS version. 

We are still using the evaluation license, but are in the process of buying the license. Once we have that, I will make a clean install of everything and try again.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:06 PM
  • Hi SB_Dame,

I suspect when you installed / moved the BSP you did not port it so it has links to the wrong tree.  Can you confirm the BSP is using the correct tree?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:56 PM
  • You are probably right, I did no sort of porting. Does an update of WEC2013 require an update of the BSP?

I do not know how to check which tree the BSP is using, could you instruct me?

BRs,
    David

Friday, November 20, 2015 8:22 AM
  • Hi David

The version of the Installer (WindowsEmbeddedCompact2013.exe) does not necessarily match with the OS version it installs.

The newest updater released November 16 has the version 8.2.6229.0.
    The OS version information found in the installed header files "($WINCEROOT)\public\common\sdk\inc\bldver.h" has is 8.0.6228.0.

In past updates, the OS version (in bldver.h) did not change at all - and does not match with the version of the installer.

So the version you get from your target device should be fine.

Concerning BSP update: I have not seen Compact 2013 updates so far that required a BSP update.

To figure out, which BSP is used you can:
    - open the 'build.log' file found in the %WINCEROOT% (typically C:\WINCE800) folder. Search for the environment variable "_TARGETPLATROOT". Its value gives BSP path you're using.

MVP Windows Embedded

• Marked as answer by SB_dame Monday, November 23, 2015 7:02 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Hi Michael

Thank you for the response. Is there any way to see in the final build which WEC2013 version that has been used to build?

BRs David

Monday, November 23, 2015 7:03 AM
  • Hi David

To get this kind of information, I introduced my own version information asset. Every Windows Embedded Compact project I worked on had this "ROM" version info.

In every project, I have implemented one (or more) of the following approaches:
    - Include a text file in the OS design (in the FILES section) that holds the "ROM" / Image version information
    - Add a registry value holding the "ROM" / Image version info
    - Implement and include a native C DLL that provides an API ( GetImageVersion(..)) returning the appropriate version info

A OS image (NK.BIN) consists of
    - Bits from Microsoft (the Core OS)
    - BSP and Drivers from either Microsoft, 3rd party suppliers or yourself
    - Appplications you have written

The "ROM" Version represents the combined version information of all (combined) the above assets.

BRs Michael

MVP Windows Embedded

Monday, November 23, 2015 2:48 PM