none
VS 2010 Office 2010 Windows 7 Need to open an instance of Excel CreateObject give ActiveX Error 429 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running the following: VS 2010 Office 2010 Windows 7 Need to open an instance of Excel CreateObject give ActiveX Error 429

I would like to use the CreaeObject function in MS Access 2010 to open an instance in MS Excel 2010 but I always receive an ActiveX Error 429.  I have a reference to Excel 14 and this was never an issue before Windows 7/Office 2010.  So I am trying now to create a solution in VS 2010 ONLY to open one instance of Excel 2010.  I have tried both the InterOp and Process methods and both work but create multiple errors. 

InterOp opens Excel after about 30 seconds but I constantly receive Excel can not open errors and it creates ghost app in the task manager (about 3 each time)

Process opens Excel but it will continually open the app and will not stop.

I was using dim xlApp as Excel.Application Access and it worked fine before the upgrade to Windows 7/Office 2010.

Any thoughts?

• Moved by Youen Zen Friday, May 11, 2012 6:19 AM (From:Visual Basic Interop and Upgrade)
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, your topic is rarely related to VB.NET. I’ll move your thread to VSTO forum.

Thank you for your understanding!

Shanks Zen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

In Visual Basic, there are several causes of it as below:

1. Corrupted Windows registry
    2. Mistake in the application
    3. Incorrect system configuration
    4. Missing/damaged component

I would recommend you do more trouble shooting.

Following is the scenario which I suggest you try:

The first tip to remove runtime error 429 is to re-register the registry entries of Office applications. Before that please make sure you are able to launch Office applications yourself. For instance, to re-register Microsoft Office Excel, Click "Start"--"Run" and then type in C:Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office/Excel.exe /regserver and press OK. You should re-register all of the Office applications one by one until the runtime error 429 disappears.

The second tips to fix runtime error 429 is to run security scan on your computer. Some virus would damage the system and application files so that run-time errors would be displayed frequently. You had better install an anti-virus program to prevent run time errors occur on your computer.

Also you can try to go to the Microsoft Windows Script update page to fix runtime error 429. From there, you need to download Microsoft updated installation file then follow the installation wizard and update Office applications. Such problem can be fixed with this method.

Many PC users choose to uninstall and reinstall all of the Office applications when they encounter run-time error 429. However, sometimes it does not work properly if the error 429 issue is caused by corrupted Windows registry. And it also is a time consuming way for most of people.

In my opinion, the most important and effective way to fix and avoid run-time errors is to run free registry scan for your system regularly. Of course, security programs can help you remove virus but they are not able to repair the corrupted registry entries. In such situation, registry cleaning software will assist you detect and repair registry errors, corrupted registry entries and missing registry in order to fix not only runtime error 429 but also other run-time errors. If you continue to run this damaged system and don't clean Windows registry in time, this potential risk will bring you more troubles, even system crash.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Hi Charlie

The VSTO technology is definitely not involved here, so another forum might be a better place to ask this, but first I'd like to clear up exactly what kind of project is involved. More to the point, it's not clear where Visual Studio fits into the statement "I would like to use the CreaeObject function in MS Access 2010 to open an instance in MS Excel 2010 ". Could you clarify this, please?

I assume this is all taking place on the same local machine - no "remoting" from a server or anything involved?

Is there any chance that the Office 2010 "Click to run" or a "Starter" version is installed on this machine, rather than the full version of Office?

Is more than one version of Office present on the machine?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:14 AM