Error Installing Second SQL Instance RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install a second instance on my 2008 R2 server running SQL 2008 R2.  During setup, Im getting this error:

Rule "Consistency validation for SQL Server registry keys" failed.

The SQL Server registry keys from a prior installation cannot be modified.  To continue, see SQL Server Setup documentation about how to fix registry keys.

Any idea how to fix this?  I checked the logs and it stops at this point:

2013-12-06 12:01:19 Slp: Launching external tool: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2\x64\FixSqlRegistryKey_x86.exe
    2013-12-06 12:01:19 Slp: ------------------------------------------------------------
    2013-12-06 12:02:33 Slp: ------------------------------------------------------------
    2013-12-06 12:02:33 Slp: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2\x64\FixSqlRegistryKey_x86.exe exit code: -1073741701

Friday, December 6, 2013 8:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

It seems there are some remnants from a previous installation. Although SQL Server setup is complaining about the registry only, please manually uninstall using the following procedure::

Uninstall all SQL Server components you can using Control Panel -> Programs and Features

Backup the registry.

Delete the following keys in regedit:

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.

Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer like

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server and subfolders.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, December 6, 2013 8:24 PM
  • I cant uninstall SQL.  Its a production server thats currently in production.
    Friday, December 6, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Hello,

Could you try setting full control permissions to everyone to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server key? Do that just for the installation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, December 6, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Tried that, but same result.  Would I have to restart the server?
    Friday, December 6, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Hello,

No need to restart the server really …

I know you said the other instance is working fine, but the actual issue may prevent you later from applying updates on the production instance. I wonder if repairing the installed instance could fix this.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646006(v=sql.105).aspx

Otherwise, maybe is worthy calling Microsoft Support.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, December 6, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Would this do anything to the data in the running instance? 
    Friday, December 6, 2013 9:40 PM
  • Hello,

No. That won’t affect your data. Please the first few paragraphs of the link I provided above about the repair procedure. This way you know for sure what this procedure does and what it does not.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, December 6, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Tried that with the same exact error coming up.
    Friday, December 6, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Friday, December 6, 2013 10:21 PM
  • You, sir, are a MASSIVE help!!  I took the .exe files off the CD and replaced them in the Program Files directory and all is well now!!  Thanks, friend!
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Friday, December 13, 2013 9:55 AM
    Friday, December 6, 2013 10:39 PM
  • Hello,

I am glad it worked for you.

The next time I will try to provide a solution faster, it took 3 hours J

Have a great weekend and enjoy SQL Server!

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, December 6, 2013 11:05 PM