move expressions web 3 to new computer RRS feed

• Question

• how do I move microsoft expressions 3 to a new computer I bought?
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:23 AM

All replies

• You have to install it just like you did the first time on the other computer.
    You can not "move" an installed program.

As for your web sites, publish them to a folder, burn the folder to a disk
    and then publish from the disk to your new machine.

Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:48 PM
  • thank you does that mean I have to buy it AGAIN?
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:24 PM
  • ???

Of course not. You install from the DVD you purchased, or from the download you got from Digital River or wherever you acquired your initial installation. Then you activate with your retail product key.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Thank you again

I downloaded it on line. So I do not have a DVD. and my old computer is unable to burn a disc. I did find my notes as to the date purchased, order number, and product key buy do not remember where I purchased it. Any advise?

Saturday, August 28, 2010 8:13 PM
  • If the download is still on your old machine, either network them and transfer it to the new machine or slave the drive from the old machine into the new one and transfer it that way.
    Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Thanks I will try that, but my old computer crashed,

One question though

can I go to the expressions websight and down load it there with the product key?

Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:33 AM
  • the driver is the main problem with the old computer
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:25 AM
  • Always archive any downloaded program you buy WITH the program key. I keep a file that has tall my program keys in it so if something happens I can retreive the key from there. You may be able  to retrieve the key from whever you purchased it from but you probably need the receipt to do that. If you can't burn a dvd then get an external drive and use it for back-ups every computer I've used since 2000 has the ablity to use external hard drives via usb. You can also get external dvd burners for under $50.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Cheryl,

The OP already said he has the product key.

"I did find my notes as to the date purchased, order number, and product key..."

Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:04 AM
  • yes thank you I have the product key but my driver and usb ports on my old computer do not work
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:08 AM
  • You should be able to download the trial and use the your product key to enable it as the full product. 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a73a3a7-3e06-4125-b3c6-f9c10387e9cc&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by KathyW2 Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:18 PM
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:42 AM
  • thankm you very much ikt worked, have a good day
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 10:49 AM
  • You can still download the trial version of EW 3 then use your product key to activate it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a73a3a7-3e06-4125-b3c6-f9c10387e9cc&displaylang=en

Make sure you burn it to DVD this time. You can also upgrade to EW 4 for free as long as you purchased version 3 and have it installed on your computer. If you take advantage of the free upgrade, make sure you keep 3 in case you have to reinstall at a later date.

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Why did you unmark my answer?
    It is correct.

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:33 PM