What do you call this? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Can someone please point me to the relevant source of information for what I intend to do.  What do you call a non-linear download algorithm/mechanism. How do you build something like Xfire, Microsoft Automatic Update, Bittorrent, etc... that is able to download pieces of data which results in a whole over time.  Meaning... a very large file can be downloaded successfully over the internet eventhough the download task is discontinued and continued numerous times. What do you call such technology that is able to keep track of client data and is able to supply the remaining data.... positioning where the download task last left off.

You can be interrupting Bittorrent with a download task. But, Bittorrent is smart enough to pick up remaining download data for the same ole task without the need to start from the beginning. How does the Bittorent software track what/which data the client has already received? What would someone call such a algorithm? How does it put together chunks of data eventhough the process is interrupted numerous times?

Thank you in advance.

Monday, April 3, 2006 6:07 AM

Answers

• BitTorrent does not download data in a linear fashion. It downlaods data from the beginning from the end from inbetween. Whatever is avalible.
    If you are interested in how that works do a search on the internet as the BitTorrent protocol is publicly avalible as far as I know and there are even open source clients so you can see the protocol implemented.

As for windwos update that works in a completly different way. So you can't group this things together...
    Monday, April 3, 2006 1:47 PM