MCPD/MCTS Certifications RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    I have been developing for some time now in VB6, C# Windows Forms, ASP.NET, and Silverlight 3/4; although only part time, as I am a systems administrator. Developing has been my passion ever since I acquired my first computer, but my career took a different path; well..... not entirely. I have developed a couple ASP.NET applications and I am currently starting to develop in Silverlight. In looking for a full time Web Developer job opportunity, I noticed that most of the employers ask for experience and/or a bachelors degree in computer science. So, I would like to get a certification as a web developer. My question is, where do I start? I like reading a lot, but I believe that training videos sometimes are a better source. 

    Obviously, I have been researching a lot and it seems like I need to take the 70-536 exam first. Is this still the case? What is the difference between the MCPD and the MCTS certifications? I want to get certified in Visual Studio 2010 as this is the latest version. Do I need to get certified in VS 2008?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:49 PM

All replies

  • I would think twice, mate.
    Showing someone a portfolio is much more likely to impress than a MS certificate.
    The certification is very academic orientated.
    A load of what you'd learn is only really useful for passing the exam.
    When I recruit people it's not something I look for.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Andy1559,


    Thanks for your reply. I guess there is nothing like hands on.

    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Definitely.

    A lot of empployers expect silverlight devs to have portfolios like graphics designers because they associate the two.  Producing a practical one gives you practice writing complete apps as well as a portfolio to show them.

    The only real exception is if you're going to work for a small software house that wants to be a gold partner or whatever it's called.  They need 2 people with ms accreditation.

    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:48 AM