SQL server 2012 database advice older versions RRS feed

• Question

• We are switching to sql server 2012 for use with Geomedia, and would appreciate any suggestions.

We would like changes to be reflected immediately, no problem there.

We have maps that are based on information at the time, that needs to be maintained, joins based on parcel numbers subject to change, utility locations etc. At present we create a new instance of the database with a new name every 3 months for use with maps. Is there a better way?

• Edited by ktownrat Monday, December 3, 2012 9:57 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi ktownrat,

Could you please provide more detail information about your requirement? If you want to store more information, I suggest set “FILEGROWTH” option of the database file, when the file is full, SQL Server will allocate more space (according to filegrowth values) to this database. For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

CREATE DATABASE (Transact-SQL):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176061.aspx

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:57 AM
  • One Example, We track parcels that flood during rain events by parcel number.

We make improvements to sanitary and storm sewers.

We get updates of parcels every 3 months from the county.

Parcel shapes and numbers change anytime a lot line adjustment, subdivision, splits etc. The old parcels are deleted from the info we receive from the county, so any maps based on joins or queries will no longer display the correct information. An estimate is there may be about 40 tables that then would not display the snapshot in time of a rain event.

I am obligated to be able to produce point in time information, for analysis and review. 

Presently Oracle is administered by someone else, and 3 month point in time are being stored as access databases. I am new to sql and sql server so please forgive any noobiness. I would like all databases handled by sql server as we are going to exit the oracle bandwagon.

I was wondering if there was a better approach in sql server to meet our needs.

• Edited by ktownrat Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:17 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hello ktownrat:

I am interested in knowing a little more about the conversion to SQL Server 2012 for your GeoMedia installation.

Would it be possible to provide me with some information.  You can reach me directly at Kevin.Aide@intergraph.com

Monday, March 4, 2013 5:36 PM
  • I recommend creating a time-stamp column; or data version column that uses the most recent data from your suppliers.

I don't like the freezing a database by snapshot by saving as a different name....  That is what we do where i work and it can be pain if the structure changes from live to the frozen DB

Monday, March 4, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Hello Kevin,

I am currently working on converting xml format locally used by us to SqlServer 2012 spatial for Geomedia. For that I need spatia data type matching between Sqlserevr and Geomedia, I have for Sql server 2008 but I need  Sqlserver 2012 and Geomedia. Can you please provide me some information if you have any ?

Thanks in advance..

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:41 AM