Need ERD modeler that supports "sub-models" RRS feed

• Question

• Complicated databases have complicated ERDs. Too complicated usually and hard for others to know where to start understanding the database.  I am looking for a product that supports information "hiding" in the same way that modern programming languages hide info in functions\subroutines. All that remains in  the main source code is a call(s) to the functions\subroutines. From a modeling perspective I would like the option to create my model as usual than create submodels containing related groups of tables. The main model would contain only a "hyperlink" like structure that I click to display\edit the submodel contents in a new window. Get it? The submodel holds the related details and the actual tables are visually removed from the main model (unless I specifically want all tables to be displayed on the main model.) This is more than just using the same color background for related tables. This is information hiding (encapsulation). So, can you recommend any third party products that support this approach?

edm2

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:14 PM

Answers

• ERwin and Power Designer are nice products. ERwin uses Subject Areas to 'inherit' existing objects from the main model to a Subject Area. Information hiding in modeling I think is more like base tables with a data abstraction layer you create with view. Aqua data studio is a cheaper modeling tool that might help with your sub model idea. Hope that was helpfull.

Hope this is Helpfull. J Alverson Microsoft BI Solutions Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Proposed as answer by Kalman Toth Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:14 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:38 PM

All replies

• ERwin and Power Designer are nice products. ERwin uses Subject Areas to 'inherit' existing objects from the main model to a Subject Area. Information hiding in modeling I think is more like base tables with a data abstraction layer you create with view. Aqua data studio is a cheaper modeling tool that might help with your sub model idea. Hope that was helpfull.

Hope this is Helpfull. J Alverson Microsoft BI Solutions Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Proposed as answer by Kalman Toth Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:14 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:38 PM
  • Thank you. Since you mentioned Power Designer.. does it support anything like this concept?

edm2

Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:30 PM
  • It has been too long and not enough hands on with PD to say. Sorry. You can download trial versions of all three and try them out.

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:33 PM