edit item workflows initiated on new item creation RRS feed

• Question

• I have workflows (on a specific list) that are initiated on new item and edit item.  I have noticed that when I created a new item, that the status column says Completed for the edit item workflow.  Is this supposed to happen?

Clarification - the workflows are on a document library that has some fields that have to be completed by the user after they upload their document. Both the new item workflow and the on edit workflow are both firing when I create a new item in the doc library.  It is as if uploading the doc is starting the new item workflow and submitting the column data is considered an edit.

Does anyone know how this works?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:08 PM

Answers

• Yeah, when you first upload, the item is added to the library, so the New workflow runs UNLESS you require check out, which requires it to be checked IN before the item is "new."  If you don't require check out, then it is committed to the library upon upload.  Then, adding metadata to the form may be considered an edit to the previously-new item.  Check the version of your item upon finishing the full upload.  If it shows something higher than 1.0, then you know it has been "edited."
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:28 AM

All replies

• Yeah, when you first upload, the item is added to the library, so the New workflow runs UNLESS you require check out, which requires it to be checked IN before the item is "new."  If you don't require check out, then it is committed to the library upon upload.  Then, adding metadata to the form may be considered an edit to the previously-new item.  Check the version of your item upon finishing the full upload.  If it shows something higher than 1.0, then you know it has been "edited."
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:28 AM
  • I believe that checkout is required, but I don't see where in the library settings to confirm that.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:54 PM
  • In the Library Settings > Versioning Settings.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:04 PM