none
Device Firmware upgrade in Wince RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I would like to know if there is any body done the Atmel Device Firmware upgrade on the windowCE side.  Also to activate the DFU mode, Do I need the DFU mode driver,  also is there any possibility that I can avoid the use of the jumper?

Thank you,

Liang  

Friday, November 8, 2013 8:48 PM

All replies

• Can you elaborate your question.

Which firmware update you need ? and what jumper setting you are talking about

Generally Firmware update requires a driver, if the application has to access the device.

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Monday, November 11, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Which Atmel chip?  The answer to that might give us a clue as to what the jumpers do on your board.

I have done Atmel 8535 firmware update.  The process matches the way the datasheet says to do the update.  I included code in the driver specifically to do the update.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Monday, November 11, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Thank you for the replies.  The Atmel chip that I am using is ATxmega128A3U.   Hi Bruce, could I ask you how you did the driver for the Atmel 8535.

Thank you,

Liang

• Edited by Liang1 Monday, November 11, 2013 7:20 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Your question is kind of vague, what do you mean by how?

As I stated earlier, I wrote it based on the datasheet.  Atmel usually is very clear on the steps needed to program the firmware.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:00 AM
  • Liang,

As mentioned by Misbah and Bruce, the question is not clear.

Here are the pointers to elaborate your question.

Does this atmel chip is the core chip on which CE runs? or is it a peripheral chip?

Since you are mentioning DFU, most likely it is the core chip on which CE runs. if so, is there a monitor program/boot loader(the firmware you are refferring to) that runs during startup?(the very first code that executes after power up)

are you planning to update this firmware or the CE image?

Please also mention the version of CE that you are referring to? More details on hardware schematic and the software architecture designed for your device will be of great help. It is a general purpose board(open source), then chances of ready anwwer are more :)

hope this helps.

- chandra

- Chandra

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

ATxmega128A3U is the chip on the slave device, the slave device is connecting to WINCE 6.0 Operating system.   I would like to know if I really need the jumper that chip. I am not very experienced in developing driver, any help is appreciated.

Liang

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:30 PM
  • The answer to your question about jumpers is going to depend on the design of your board and the use of those jumpers.

Then, you seem to be saying that the Atmel part is not attached to the CPU, but instead attached to some "slave device".  How that design effects your ability to program the firmware is something you will also need to answer.   Certainly programming the firmware is dependent on there being a communication between the CPU and the Atmel part.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

I have found the ATMEL window version of DFU mode driver, libusb-win32-src-1.2.6.0.  I just need convert that to Wince version.

Thank you,

Liang

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:36 PM